Options - Show brush cursor. What does it do?

Description of your first forum.
mkemo
Options - Show brush cursor. What does it do?

Post by mkemo » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:42 pm

Hello, I'm new to this forum and completely loving this app. (So much so that I bought 2 extra unnecessary licenses) It's not perfect but the brush engine and tweakability had me sold on day 1.

I have tried to find a setting for hiding the brush cursor (similar to pressing Caps Lock in Photoshop) and the only thing I could find is 'Show brush cursor' in Options but it doesn't seem to do anything. Should unchecking this option essentially hide the brush cursor or does it do something else that isn't immediately obvious?

thanks.
support
Site Admin

Re: Options - Show brush cursor. What does it do?

Post by support » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:42 am

This functions will be available in the nearest release.
mkemo

Post by mkemo » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:01 pm

Thank you for your response, it's much appreciated.

I feel that maybe this is an area that could be focussed on for the future. The brush cursor can be quite obtrusive if you're using a Cintiq like me, so if you don't mind I have a couple of suggestions for improvement.

Brush cursor settings could have two modes..
  • Before drawing - Ability to set Opacity of cursor.
    During drawing - Ability to set Opacity of cursor.
If it was set up like this you could have a more opaque/visible cursor for feedback then fade it to a level you feel comfortable whilst drawing. I think this would be far superior to how Photoshop works which is more boolean.

I would personally set it to say 80% Before drawing, 10% During drawing.
support
Site Admin

Post by support » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:51 am

Good suggestion, thank you. Saved.
ArmorWraith

Post by ArmorWraith » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:53 pm

If I may, I have been thinking about this a lot.

Could this be a per brush basis as well?

I would love the option to fine tune the cursor size and opacity on a per brush basis. A global option is good for default, but the ability to set each brush if desired would give more credence to the flexible nature of paintstorms brush engine. Many times the brush cursor is too large or too small for the actual size of the paint you are laying down.

(Any chance we could give the user the ability to make a custom shape for the brush cursor as well? I know most of them are program rendered. Squares, triangles, crosses, asterisks, ovals, cross-hairs, diamonds etc.)

All the best,

Armor
mkemo

Post by mkemo » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:10 pm

Hello, I just checked if this had made it into the latest release VERSION 1.52 (07.02.2016) It appears that it did not. Will it make into the next release? While it's not a blocker, this bug makes it less clear while sketching (especially when doing fine work).