Is there a way to temporary disable snapping to rulers?

Description of your first forum.
JoseConseco
Is there a way to temporary disable snapping to rulers?

Post by JoseConseco » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:26 pm

I know I can disable snapping for guides (from 'others' menu option), but I do not see option to disable snapping for rulers (eg. 3 point perspective)
Also what does chain/link icon, in rulers tools, does?
support
Site Admin

Re: Is there a way to temporary disable snapping to rulers?

Post by support » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:32 am

For disable snapping - disable rulers. Chain icon needs to link stroke directly to guide lines if you drawing near it, also contain proportions at free transform process.
JoseConseco

Post by JoseConseco » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:08 pm

About disabling snapping to perspective rulers - I would have been more specific in my first post - I wish not do disable the ruler - as it is nice visual guide, but sometimes want to have It ON, but without snapping. For example when doing character painting, it is nice to have perspective ruler to guide depth of image - but obviously you wouldn't want to snap your strokes to it :) (unless someone wants to create character from boxes). I guess it is impossible right now... Thanks for info anyway!
support
Site Admin

Post by support » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:43 am

For this task you can disable it at "menu-other-snap to guides"
JoseConseco

Post by JoseConseco » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:17 pm

support wrote:For this task you can disable it at "menu-other-snap to guides"
That doesn't seem to work on 1,2,3 point perspective guides...
Anyway I wanted to share one with best/easiest ways of creating and working with vanishing points, which is imo, Krita's snapping setup.
Below I define one vertical parallel ruler, and then two vanishing points. Also it is shown, that you can temporarily disable snapping to these guides (with hotkey).
Advantages are:
- you can work with multiple rulers/guides at same time (in gif above, I had setup one vertical ruler, and two vanishing points (you can define any number of vp. 1,2,3 or more. They work individually from each other). It is very flexible, because you can do any combination of those eg.: 1vp + horizontal ruler, 2vp + vertical ruler, 3vp, 3vp+ vertical and more.
- as soon as you switch to brush, all the gizmos are hidden and I'm left with three guides: two going from cursor to vanishing points, one vertical line (for vertical ruler). Those lines are very helpful in visualizing where my stroke will go. Compare it to this:
None of those lines are really necessary IMO. These guides are helpful when placing VP. in reference to image, but after that they should be hidden.
If we had guides going from cursor to vp. or horizontal/vertical guides it wold simplify predicting where to put next stroke. Eg. below it is way easier to tell where should I start to draw new box, in relation to previous one, if I want them to be same height.

- last thing - quick way to disable snapping to guides. After turning guides off, they are still visible, but I can draw any shape eg. arch, or something. And then toggle them back on.

Sorry for long post, but I just wanted to show the benefits of well done UI, UX for perspective drawing :D. I bet good artis won't need those, but I'm poor artist :<
support
Site Admin

Post by support » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:06 am

JoseConseco wrote:Sorry for long post, but I just wanted to show the benefits of well done UI, UX for perspective drawing :D. I bet good artis won't need those, but I'm poor artist :<
No, thanks, this is very informative!