How do I stop brush from changing color?

Description of your first forum.
michaelws
How do I stop brush from changing color?

Post by michaelws » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:41 pm

What is frustrating is the time it seems to take for a topic to be posted. I know it is to maybe stop spammers or just eliminate detrimental comments but it is stopping me from really being able to dive into this program.

One thing I am not liking is that most brushes seem to have slight color variations...and often not so slight. I have found no way to turn this off. I like to be able to control the color I use on a stroke. Can this be done somewhere? I played with the sliders in the dirty mode and the color gradient and other places but nothing seems to stop this variation or color shift from occurring. I am attaching a screengrab.

I want to be able to use this program in place of Corel Painter. It seems to have the potential to do what I need in replicating certain natural media or traditional media brushes, mimicking oil and acrylic brushes, but some of these little quirks I have posted new topics on don't get posted in a timely manner and therefore get o replies so I am forced to stop using Paintstorm and back to the old tried and true Corel.

I don't want to criticize to the point of being black-listed here as I love the potential of this program. But that is what makes it so frustrating. I am anxious to use it...and I need help to overcome some hurdles. That makes it hard to wait a week or more to get a topic approved.
ColorVariationProblem.jpg
ColorVariationProblem.jpg (519.11KiB)Viewed 2789 times
Also am placing an attachment of what I have done, a quick sketch in Corel Painter, to illustrate what I am looking to be able to do with Paintstorm.
VolcanoWave_001gaSM.jpg
VolcanoWave_001gaSM.jpg (302.61KiB)Viewed 2789 times
Thanks for your patience with me and you understanding. Hoping to hear from you soon.
support
Site Admin

Re: How do I stop brush from changing color?

Post by support » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:49 am

(from e-mail)
What about color shifting: it can happen due to several settings.
1)At this screenshot, I see that the brightness random enabled for this brush.(see Attachment)
2)The "dirty mode" in color section also gets color difference, the next stroke will be colored as a precious end of the stroke (this function also available in Corel Painter)
3)H,S,B controllers - is a shift for HUE, Saturation, Brightness
4)Also, the gradient can shift the color.
5)Bristle diversity - gives random of brightness to the hairs, but little shift to the saturated middle red, for example, looks nice, but same little shift to the white color - gives gray dirty effect... we are going to add some depending on the brightness settings
ArmorWraith

Post by ArmorWraith » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:09 pm

Gorgeous piece Michael :mrgreen:

Armor
michaelws

Post by michaelws » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:37 pm

Thanks ArmorWraith.
Long_haired_artist

Post by Long_haired_artist » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:50 am

Definitely the brightness with random.
Also take note that pressure control of Color Amount and Extends Color will blend paint much the same way as Painter's Resaturation and Bleed in the Well. If you enjoy blending, I suggest pairing pressure on Color Amount with an inverse pressure control on Extends Color, to allow light strokes to act as a blender without switching brushes... and add pressure to opacity (or transition) to ease start and end of strokes. You may want to switch to a tilt function for size to try this.

Painter intaglio- A good way to simulate depth of paint is with the Color Gradient selected with no control. Pen direction modifying Angle will give control over angle of shadow effect. Adjust the gradient to control shadow sharpness. This comes in handy -example: if you set the second color in the gradient to zero opacity then you can fade your form shape. Add a dozen variations and you don't have to rely on bristle diversity's value limitation.