new budget wacom 16 question

Description of your first forum.
Blendie
new budget wacom 16 question

Post by Blendie » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:11 am

Hello :-)
I'm heading towards buying the new budget wacom 16 (https://uk-store.wacom.com/Product/waco ... undefined1), as the Ugee connections are getting loose after over 2 years. Also, am now on Manjaro KDE, and was surprised to find Paintstorm in the AUR, which installs great ... version 2.30-1.
Would Paintstorm have pressure sensitivity with whichever version of the linux-wacom driver it finds, when that is updated to include this new device?
AMD, SparkyOS/Mate, XP-Pen Deco v2
ArmorWraith

Re: new budget wacom 16 question

Post by ArmorWraith » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:48 pm

I would assume so. I have just bought a gaomon tablet, i was worried about it as well.

I own both an intuos and gaomon and they both work fine.
I run windows 10 though!

I may also pick one of these up eventually, so I am curious as well PSS staff! :D

Armor
Blendie

Post by Blendie » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:34 pm

Thanks ArmorWraith :) Glad your tablets work, and thanks for assurances about the new Wacom 16 most likely being okay. I've asked on github and waiting for a response about whether the linux-wacom driver needs updating for this device. If PSS does just read the driver and applies whatever it finds, full steam ahead, as it looks really great! Keen to buy anyway; watched some demos and eg Aaron Blaise says the pressure sensitivity is incredible, best of the Cintiqs and even better than the ipad. Nice that it's a lighter device too/easier to use. The free stands are out of stock (uk) at the moment, so I don't know if/when they're back in stock. Best to just check now and then.

EDIT: the free stand is no longer being advertised in the UK store. Debit cards are refused by Wacom UK, lol, so it's a case of waiting for Amazon to restock. :mrgreen:
Blendie

Post by Blendie » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:25 pm

Received a very helpful response on github, saying that the new Cintiq 16 is supported by generic kernel driver upstream, and depending on kernel, needs either generic or backports driver. :D
Still out of stock on Amazon (UK) but can order to get in the queue for when they're back in, which I've done.

EDIT: linuxwacom github have confirmed the Cintiq 16 works out of the box on kernel 4.19. :D
ArmorWraith

Post by ArmorWraith » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:05 am

Works ace, just got mine today. Love it!

Armor
Blendie

Post by Blendie » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:45 am

That's great! :-) Certainly a very good device. I actually sent mine back, as the screen was a bit too small (I'm used to the big Ugee 2150 screen) plus I discovered colour calibration is rather difficult on Linux. I could have fixed it/got help, but the return collection happened early, just as I was contemplating whether to unpack it again, lol ... not concerned, as I just couldn't get away with the Wacom 'frosted' glass either. Love the clear glass and vibrant colours on Ugee, even though it doesn't have pressure sensitivity for PSS ... I genuinely have a new appreciation for how great it is and will replace with the same when necessary, plus have seen a new Ugee kit including a strong desk arm too, which makes the device hang over the edge of the table securely; ideal, and ticks the posture box I'd hoped the Wacom would tick.