Help with recreating my favourite corel brush

Description of your first forum.
floodinheaven
Help with recreating my favourite corel brush

Post by floodinheaven » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:35 pm

Hi,

I'm currently using the paintstorm studio trial and I'm very impressed so far. It's the first time I've found a brush engine that seems to have the functionality required to create my corel brush which is pretty much the only one i use. If I could recreate it I would switch to paintstorm in a heartbeat.

The brush is called dry acrylic brush and it has dual functions, firstly its a bristled brushstroke with limited paint. When paint runs out, it keeps blending on the canvas if you dont lift the pen. The 'dirty impressionistic' brush without the dirty setting in Paintstorm already does something very similar and I hope to tweak it to get closer to my corel brush.

The first thing I wonder is if i can adjust the tail of the bristled brush, it is currently completely straight in paintstorm. Information on bristle settings in the help document seems to be removed.
1.jpg
1.jpg (391.44KiB)Viewed 2380 times

The second thing is creating a blend effect more like the brush in corel. The blending done by the paintstorm brush right now seems to push the pixels whereas in corel its like thinly glazed, and I don't know how to adjust the blending.
3.jpg
3.jpg (614.83KiB)Viewed 2380 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (856.8KiB)Viewed 2380 times
I don't expect anyone to recreate a carbon copy but I would love some pointers to what controllers might be involved,
Thanks in advance
support
Site Admin

Re: Help with recreating my favourite corel brush

Post by support » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:29 am

The second thing is creating a blend effect more like the brush in corel. The blending done by the paintstorm brush right now seems to push the pixels whereas in corel its like thinly glazed, and I don't know how to adjust the blending.
You must create brush form with half-transparent areas (not solid) (see screen example) and enable texture in subtract mode (you can set texture scale to 1 to hide it visually) In this case transparent pixels will disappear with texture strength

You can enable transition on texture strength or color amount, or opacity or transparency to set stroke length.
I can repeat this effect only with double brush :( In any case, the mix looks mostly dependent on the "extends color" parameter
Attachments
scrbri.jpg
scrbri.jpg (239.9KiB)Viewed 2378 times