Suggestions about masks and clipping layers

eyald
Suggestions about masks and clipping layers

Post by eyald » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:52 pm

Hey! I have a couple of requests for masks and working with them.

1. can it be possible to have a layer with mask also clip to layer below? currently you can only either mask or clip the layer

2. can the mask behave by color brightness instead of alpha coloring white reveals and black hides (as in photoshop)? that way it will be possible to color sample from the mask and blend better. (also please make it possible to color sample from the mask :) )

3. is it possible to make a group clip to layer/group below? currently only single layers can be clipped. that way it will be much more convenient to work.

Thanks! You're awesome :)
thinknervous

Re: Suggestions about masks and clipping layers

Post by thinknervous » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:32 am

Seconding all of this. Even if we're sticking to using the alpha channel for masking purposes, it seems backwards to me. Maybe it's just me but I would expect the alpha value of the mask to be the effective alpha value of the masked layer, e.g. a transparent pixel on the mask means that the layers beneath show through and an opaque pixel means the masked layer is opaque. Currently it is the opposite.

I also often run into problems trying to flatten layers that include masks; I generally switch to Photoshop to do that kind of thing and then switch back to resume painting.
eyald

Post by eyald » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:32 pm

Hey, I wanted to clarify some of the requests. masking is a very important part of the workflow and I hope these features will be implemented.

I've attached an image showing Clip Studio Paint with the features I've asked about (1 & 3). On top is the clipped group to a group below(that also has a layer mask), in the group below there's a clipped layer with a mask:

Thanks!
Grzessko

Post by Grzessko » Tue May 29, 2018 2:30 pm

Hope developer notice that request . You are tottaly right , That kind of behavior with clipping layer and masks are standard in all other painting app ( photoshop , kritta etc ) I think its nothing big for developer but it will be awesome hlp for professional users :) with that addition Paint storm will have all basic layer tool/behaviors
eyald

Post by eyald » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:57 am

Grzessko wrote:Hope developer notice that request . You are tottaly right , That kind of behavior with clipping layer and masks are standard in all other painting app ( photoshop , kritta etc ) I think its nothing big for developer but it will be awesome hlp for professional users :) with that addition Paint storm will have all basic layer tool/behaviors
Thanks, Photoshop may not be able to clip create clipping masks from groups, but Clip Studio Paint and Krita are able to do that. Both are able to have masks on clipped layers. I hope it will be implemented!
Long_haired_artist

Post by Long_haired_artist » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:56 pm

I found the folder clipping function was possible in PSS.
An existing selection was needed, then in a current folder, click the add mask command. Inverting the selection prior to creating mask was also possible using the invert selection commands.
I used an interesting trick to acquire a selection from a painted space quickly - Select All, then Free Transform... all painted pixels will then be selected. Not sure if edge refining will fix antialiasing issues.
Because a mask could be acquired from a painting, one can retain a copy of the mask for color referencing, modification, duplication. Not seeing a way to get PSS to work with color seperations- that sounds like a great idea!
Attachments
4C7591FC-6D13-4C97-A2DA-41BCE0C172D5.jpeg
4C7591FC-6D13-4C97-A2DA-41BCE0C172D5.jpeg (345.29KiB)Viewed 7554 times
ArmorWraith

Post by ArmorWraith » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:18 pm

I don't know if you were aware, if you hit Ctrl + the layer image, it will select the contents of the layer for you.

I use it sometimes.

All the best,

Armor
Long_haired_artist

Post by Long_haired_artist » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:14 am

Sweet tip!
I went looking for a hotkey for CTRL on ios, but found one for selecting pixels instead.
Maybe I should post something about custom hot keys for... anything on the keyboard, or maybe like right mouse click as well.
Or just get a keyboard for the ipad
ArmorWraith

Post by ArmorWraith » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:49 am

Oh my bad, didnt realize you were ios.
Yeah its really handy on pc, sorry bout that.

Cheers,

armor