Linux version

Drayldan
Re: Linux version

Post by Drayldan » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:40 am

Hi devs! It was really good decision to make this LINUX version indeed! KRITA has real competitor now! :)
In general Paintstorm works well for me on Linux Mint 18.1 64-bit KDE and there is no problem with installing it.
It looks like PSS works the same as Windows version, fortunately. Pressure works properly for my Wacom Intuos 4 tablet.

However, there are two small "issues" to mention:

1. When adding additional, external brushsets (custom brushes in PSS format), program loses (?) their names, so they are installed and works OK, but its general name (given by creator) at the top is empty. In Windows there is always a name here.

2. Differently in Windows (and Krita in Linux) PSS doesn't show request windows (e.g. Exit program? Do you want to save picture?) in front of a work screen, but behind it. So it looks like PSS on Linux "hangs" for a moment while it's waiting for user's input in the background (i.e. one has to change active program by using Ctrl+TAB). It occurs in my Linux system at least.

Besides, it's fantastic you keep PSS updated for Linux version as well! Good luck!!!
cestarian

Post by cestarian » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:23 am

Thanks for the Linux version! :D

Thanks to this I'm almost definitely buying this software as soon as I finish testing it out on Windows, and I'm only testing it out on Windows because my tablet drivers on Linux sorta broke, speaking of which, got any plans to add support for off-brand tablets like my Yiynova MVP22U?

I can't test it because of aforementioned driver issues (I'll be trying to fix them in the coming weeks), but I heavily suspect it wouldn't work because it interfaces through evdev (so Paintstorm will probably recognize it just as a mouse, if at all) via the digimend driver. basically as far as tablet drivers go on Linux it's either digimend or wacom, and for some tablets, digimend even uses the wacom driver, but for most it uses evdev as described here I believe it should probably be pretty straightforward to add support for it since all you will probably need to add is support for it's pressure sensitivity trickery. (Evdev doesn't actually support pressure sensitivity)

The digimend driver is (of course open source) if you want to look into supporting it and krita (also open source) already supports these devices if you need a point of reference for how to implement this. I'd highly appreciate it ;)
allthecoffee

Post by allthecoffee » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:20 am

I'm getting some issues when I try to open PSD files with a lot of layers or layer folders. The files are perfectly fine because they open just fine in krita, photoshop, and paintstorm for windows. It will either crash immediately on loading a PSD or it will load it but add erroneous characters to layer names or just not even load some layers.
Kernel: 4.11.9-1-ARCH
WM: BSPWM / OpenBox
CPU: AMD FX-6300 Six-Core @ 3.5GHz
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB
Blendie

Post by Blendie » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:39 pm

Hi, agree with Cestarian, and allthecoffee's appimage idea would be ideal too. I've tried it again, have every dependency installed (the ones noted here, and many drivers, including libinput etc), but no pressure sensitivity. Ugee 2150 pressure sensitivity worked fine with PSS on Windows (Radeon R9 255 graphics card), and is perfect on everything here on Linux (Mint Cinnamon 18.1, same graphics card/computer but now Cape Verde driver), just not for PSS, so unfortunately it's unusable.

Kernel 4.4.0-53 and Mesa 12.0.6, 16gig ram, i7 haswell.
X.Org 1.18.4
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD CAPE VERDE (DRM 2.43.0 / 4.4.0-53-generic, LLVM 3.8.0)
GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 12.0.6 Direct Rendering: Yes
AMD, SparkyOS/Mate, XP-Pen Deco v2
Blendie

Post by Blendie » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:51 am

No probs. I'd have paid again for a working Linux version, but have just found a brilliant brush pack for Krita, and tweaked some settings, so am able to paint the same as I used to in PSS. Very happy with that, plus the devs and community are great; very responsive about any fixes.
allthecoffee

Post by allthecoffee » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:42 pm

So I've kinda gotten paintstorm working in a flatpak sandbox. All my progress is here. If anyone else would like to try and help get this working entirely that would be awesome. If gitlab is too inconvenient I am willing to move it to github. If the devs want me to remove this, just message me and let me know. Anyway, hopefully some people find this useful.
Kernel: 4.11.9-1-ARCH
WM: BSPWM / OpenBox
CPU: AMD FX-6300 Six-Core @ 3.5GHz
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB
Blendie

Post by Blendie » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:13 am

allthecoffee wrote:So I've kinda gotten paintstorm working in a flatpak sandbox. All my progress is here. If anyone else would like to try and help get this working entirely that would be awesome. If gitlab is too inconvenient I am willing to move it to github. If the devs want me to remove this, just message me and let me know. Anyway, hopefully some people find this useful.
Thank you very much for your work on this and the links. I'm such a newb to Linux, all I understand to install is either a deb or the GOG .sh installers, plus I know how to make a file run (going into permissions and making it read/write and able to run). One or two other things I can extract and muddle through. If the flatpak ends up containing drivers, that's really cool, as my problem is that there isn't a driver that links PSS in with the LM 18.1 Cinnamon installed x11/xinput/digimend, and amd/radeon, graphics drivers that provide pressure sensitivity for Krita/all other art programs eg mypaint/Gimp, and my non-Wacom display tablet (Ugee).

Anyone referencing any of the non-Wacom display tablets on the Linux Mint forum is finding those plug'n'play really well and have pressure sensitivity innately, so it seems like there needs to be a driver to link PSS in with Linux Mint. With Mint being such a big distro, and one many are starting on Linux with, and especially going to in their droves in the wake of unfortunate privacy/data/lockdown issues elsewhere, many could then buy and use PSS, and, frankly, PSS could have much bigger sales and many more people benefit.

The work you've done is brilliant, and anything others can add and that PSS could also add, would be very appreciated, so thank you again.
cestarian

Post by cestarian » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:42 am

I could possibly make an arch user repository package if anyone wants to make the installation process easier for arch users. (It's actually pretty easy to get it working on arch, after running the installation file I just install these dependencies: glew, glut, libcurl-gnutls and then I symlink libglew.so.2.0 to libglew.so.1.13 in /usr/lib so paintstorm can access glew properly)

Also Blendie, if you want pressure sensitivity in Paintstorm you have to install xf86-input-wacom and use that driver. You may need to configure some file in xorg.conf.d to get it working right because otherwise it may default to libinput instead which is not yet supported by paintstorm. If you have a non-wacom tablet you're just gonna have to wait for that libinput support.

I've thought about rewriting some drivers to make my tablet pretend to be a wacom tablet and interface through the xf86-input-wacom driver, but that would be a lot of work and driver development is not exactly a strong suit of mine (I don't really even understand C, I just mess with shit till it works) but it would be a lot easier to just add support for libinput pressure sensitivity on the paintstorm side, so I decided to rather wait for that.
Blendie

Post by Blendie » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:04 am

cestarian wrote:I could possibly make an arch user repository package if anyone wants to make the installation process easier for arch users. (It's actually pretty easy to get it working on arch, after running the installation file I just install these dependencies: glew, glut, libcurl-gnutls and then I symlink libglew.so.2.0 to libglew.so.1.13 in /usr/lib so paintstorm can access glew properly)

Also Blendie, if you want pressure sensitivity in Paintstorm you have to install xf86-input-wacom and use that driver. You may need to configure some file in xorg.conf.d to get it working right because otherwise it may default to libinput instead which is not yet supported by paintstorm. If you have a non-wacom tablet you're just gonna have to wait for that libinput support.

I've thought about rewriting some drivers to make my tablet pretend to be a wacom tablet and interface through the xf86-input-wacom driver, but that would be a lot of work and driver development is not exactly a strong suit of mine (I don't really even understand C, I just mess with shit till it works) but it would be a lot easier to just add support for libinput pressure sensitivity on the paintstorm side, so I decided to rather wait for that.
Thanks Cestarian for the confirmation. Yes, I look forward to when PSS include the libinput support; that would definitely fix things. And, yes, some of this stuff can be complicated and get a bit too overwhelming, until other stuff is learnt I suppose, over time. I'm only 8 weeks in to Linux, so am a great believer in mess with shit 'til it works too, and thank goodness for being able to duckduck stuff/forums.

Great to come forward to help arch users too, and hats off to you for working with arch; I couldn't even imagine going to arch, lol. I can see in synaptic that xserver-xorg-input-wacom and libwacom2/common/bin are installed, but the file you mention isn't in the repository. As you say, the Ugee needs the libinput support.
magdesign

Post by magdesign » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:44 am

Thanks for making Paintstorm Linux Version.
I just bought it :-)
It seems to be the best available Software on Linux for creating textures and editing photos.
So far I used Krita and Gimp which are terrible slow and until I found Paintstorm, I used a Photoshop Wine version.

Wacom tablet fully supported.

As other users already mentioned:
- When quitting the program, the save dialog appears to be behind the program window.
- Opening images when drag'n'drop to the program window does not work.
- Would appreciate to choose custom install directory e.g. /opt/paintstorm or /usr/bin/painstorm

Amazing work, please keep on coding the Linux version!

Running on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, Nvidia GeForce GTX960, MacPro mid 2010, 32GB Ram, Wacom Intuos4.