Brush shape

okuma_10
Brush shape

Post by okuma_10 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:50 am

The suggestion board got a bit lonely so I decided to add some love to it.
I was wondering should I write this idea,since I guess most of my ideas go in to the not realizable in the near future.And with PSS being pretty cool as it is.But still.
So my idea was about the brush shapes(Brush Form).Captured dabs(custom form) are pretty much what most people use.And from what I know a rendered dab(Circle) is faster than a captured one right?Now I do not know what is the process of the rendered circular dab that we see in PSS.Is it vector?If so then here comes my idea.The ability to change the shape of the rendered dab.Right now we have a circular dab.And the only modification we can do on this circular dab is decide how opaque or transparent it is along the radius of that circle.So my suggestion is adding other shapes...like square or even more complex shapes to the rendered dab section.Maybe even have a window where you can edit the shape.You can edit the points,add points,rotation of the shape or decide will the shape repeat(ie. the rake function I was asking for) and maybe even arrange the size and position of the repeats.

Ok so what I think the benefits will be:
1.Well first the toy function of being able to change the shape in a separate window,with all the editing points and arranging duplicates functions.
2.Having a cleaner crisper edge of the brush on larger brush sizes.The captured dabs,tend to get blurry at larger sizes.Which is natural since the image used for their creation, blurs as it gets bigger.
3.If rendered dabs works faster than captured dab.A square dab brush will work faster under a rendered version than using a custom square shape image.
4.A vector rendered dab(brush form) could be manipulated by mathematical functions.So just one idea might be that you can have a vector shape A and a vector shape B,then have the shape A change to shape B based on the pressure or speed or just the simple transition function.
support
Site Admin

Re: Brush shape

Post by support » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:21 pm

Thank you for your suggestions, all of it is brought to the programmer.
Formula of checking point inside figure is the fastest for circle - something like that: if(x*x+y*y<rad*rad) For rectangular it's larger function. Anyway this is actual only for not hairy brush - hairy is the same for circle and custom form.