Default background Color Change

cgmodeler
Default background Color Change

Post by cgmodeler » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:28 am

To be able to change the default canvas color.

Perhaps the same function that is already available to change the UI colors but this time to the Canvas Default Color.

This is great for various reasons, smaller file size, no need to fill a single layer with a color, etc...
Check out my latest work at:
http://www.cgmodelers.com
support
Site Admin

Re: Default background Color Change

Post by support » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:32 am

psd format is store background color as a transparent. there is no reason draw above some color that's will be transparent.
cgmodeler

Post by cgmodeler » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:21 pm

THis is for two reasons,

Paintstorm already has a white canvas even if it's transparent but if you draw on a big screen it's pretty bright.

THis is for UI purposes too. Even if the color is not stored on the psd, it can be saved on the paintstorm preferences just as one can change EVERY other color on the UI already like the tabs, windows, etc... So changing canvas default color would be a great help

Like "paper color" on mischief, artrage, ...
Mischief_A.JPG
Mischief_A.JPG (88.35KiB)Viewed 8478 times
Check out my latest work at:
http://www.cgmodelers.com
Kuja

Post by Kuja » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:03 am

I totally agree with it. The canvas is too bright. I want to change its color.
v_m

Post by v_m » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:25 pm

I think so too. also, there are 2 issues here:
1. the default canvas color is pure white, which is too bright and tires the eyes. there is no particular reason for this canvas to be white, since in fact the canvas is transparent. and I find a mid-range grey to be more useful for what I need anyway.
2. when you save psd, all's fine, but when you save png.... the white background gets saved in the png file. is there a way to avoid this?
v_m

Post by v_m » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:55 pm

Small mentioning about this sort of transparent sort of not so transparent background... if Take Underlayer's Color is active the transparent alphas will be multiplied with the background color. So even if there is no background, in theory.. in fact there is a white background that the brushes multiply with. And you end up with white fringes. Or if I add a grey BG layer, I get grey fringes for everything semi-transparent. I freaked out a bit, and then I found out about this Take Underlayer's Color, and removed it from all my brushes. Not sure if it's the right thing to do though : / Is this a bug? I would expect that the color of a transparent layer should be zero, not white. So it makes sense if you work with a background, like if you're painting traditionally, not if you create artwork that will have to be exported with alpha and have clean edges.
support
Site Admin

Post by support » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:43 pm

v_m wrote:t layer should be zero, not white. .
in this case you can disable "take underlayer color" for brushes when you are drawing "underpainting" layer

what about PNG - yes, it's a old paintstorm bug, still not fixed... better save to PSD.
magdesign

Post by magdesign » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:01 pm

Since Version 2.03

When saving to .png it saves the transparency!

cool, thanks guys.... :)
support
Site Admin

Post by support » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:02 am

magdesign wrote:Since Version 2.03

When saving to .png it saves the transparency!

cool, thanks guys.... :)
It was always :)