Feature Request: Adjustment Layers ,More Adjustments & Channels Window

eyald
Feature Request: Adjustment Layers ,More Adjustments & Channels Window

Post by eyald » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:07 am

Hey,

Something that I think is really important for workflow and taking this software to the next level would be adjustment layers. Currently from what I've seen there are only 2: Color Balance (combined with Brightness/Contrast) and Hue/Saturation. it would be really great to have a Levels, Curves, Gradient Map and more.

More importantly, these adjustments are destructive, i.e. they permanently change the layer, and also they change -only- the layer.
-Adjustment layers would be great, having an option to non destructively change multiple layers below, or even a single layer with a clipping mask.

-Another feature that would be good is a channels window, being able to select the RGB values of an image and/or adding an alpha channel.

Thanks! The program is amazing and I'd really love to see it grow :)
support
Site Admin

Re: Feature Request: Adjustment Layers ,More Adjustments & Channels Window

Post by support » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:22 am

Yes, I know what is it. We wanted to add this functions along time ago, but something other features always stay in front :)
I am not sure about channels - it's can be used for very special tasks.
What function that I am always didn't have in photoshop - merge adjustment layer to the bottom layers. Because only photoshop have adjustment layers and if you want to use other soft - this layers is disable. Also color picker tool can works wrong if you drawing "under" adjustment layer.

We have also same idea that can be very helpfull - merge lighе/multiply/overlay... layers to the bottom layers. For example if you have 3 layers - sky, cloud, glow(in Vivid light mode) and merge glow layer - overlapped part of light merging with cloud and not overlapped part of light merging with sky
eyald

Post by eyald » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:47 pm

Adjustment layers are also available in Clip Studio Paint, and importing/exporting from Photoshop maintains all of the adjustment layers :) Adjustments are very powerful and give a lot of options for painting.

About channels, when drawing it can be useful to save selections with alpha channels, or when exporting sprites/textures.

Photoshop also now as an option for the color picker to pick only from "current layer and below" so you're able to draw under the adjustment layer without fear :)

About the merging, do you mean applying the blending(vivid light etc) layer part to the bottom layers where they affect it? that would be very cool!
LukeCarl

Post by LukeCarl » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:32 am

Just wanted to second the idea of a curves adjustment layer option. That is one of the very few things I use in photoshop that aren't in Paintstorm.
hris

Post by hris » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:01 am

Is planned to add adjustment layer (similat to photoshop?) ?
steveno

Post by steveno » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:48 pm

support wrote:Yes, I know what is it. We wanted to add this functions along time ago,
Do you have maybe any roadmap for the program development, or something similar?
I really love using adjustement layers, and they are a HUGE help to edit your work in a non-destructive way.
Please make them happen OuO :)
support
Site Admin

Post by support » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:33 pm

It's applicable not only for this suggestion but: More real examples can increase realization speed :) Because some of the suggestions are a little abstract.
Right now I see useful only gradient map adjustment layer, all other can be applied to several layers as color correction and don't need to be changing on the fly.
ixie

Post by ixie » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:35 am

For me the useful thing about adjustment layers is the mask, you can make an adjustment and invert the mask then you can paint in the mask where you want the adjustment to apply.
support
Site Admin

Post by support » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:33 am

ixie wrote:For me the useful thing about adjustment layers is the mask, you can make an adjustment and invert the mask then you can paint in the mask where you want the adjustment to apply.
But Photoshop mask is not dynamic, you cannot apply something for blue pixels for example - I mean to newly created pixels too.
thinknervous

Post by thinknervous » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:11 am

support wrote:It's applicable not only for this suggestion but: More real examples can increase realization speed :) Because some of the suggestions are a little abstract.
Right now I see useful only gradient map adjustment layer, all other can be applied to several layers as color correction and don't need to be changing on the fly.
One of the benefits is that if you have an image with many layers and you want to adjust the coloring of the entire image, you can simply put a single adjustment layer over all of them. Sure, you can apply the same adjustment to each layer individually, but then if you want to readjust it later, it becomes extremely inconvenient and is a destructive operation, i.e. every time you do it you lose data, so you need to be sure to get it right the first time.

One thing to note that might speed up development a bit is that someone suggesting adding Levels AND Curves... But Levels is essentially just a different UI for making simple Curves adjustments.There's no reason to have both, as Curves is far more powerful. It's also less intuitive, but it seems like most of the people using the app and requesting the feature will know what to do with a Curves adjustment option.