List of suggestions and bugs on iPad

ErrkaPetti
Re: List of suggestions and bugs on iPad

Post by ErrkaPetti » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:15 pm

Joel Stewart wrote:I'm getting crashes and memory close-outs every time I save the image I'm working on. The image is relatively large (5551 x 3307) with several layers, but it shows up as around 215mb in iTunes (photoshop tells me that the layered file is about 650mb). Surely Paintstorm should be able to handle this (ProCreate can). I've tried trashing other apps (but I don't think that's how iPad memory works anyway).

The crashes seem to sometimes lead to a weird kind of corruption where photoshop can't read the file anymore. Usually I can get the file back by re-saving via Paintstorm on desktop. I'm discovering these things as I keep backing up to desktop because I'm having so many crashes. It's all pretty frustrating.
Joel, I've made a test today with my iPad Pro 12.9" and a document with your size...

12 layers with alot of content and colors.
We can call it a stresstest...

I saved the document a least ten times in both iTunesfolder and to iCloud...

For me Paintstorm Studio for iPad is rock solid!

Can it be your iPad Pro that has some sort of hardware fault?

But, as you mention, it just works in Procreate...?

But, I've never has this kind of freazing or crashing since v.1.60 on my iPad Pro... Strange...
Joel Stewart

Post by Joel Stewart » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:28 pm

Hmm. I hadn't been having any trouble with 1.6 until this image. Perhaps I will back everything up and re-install the app to see if that helps at all.
Joel Stewart

Post by Joel Stewart » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:01 pm

Nope, still crashing. Often on autosave.

And I lost my palette picker (wish that saved out when you save the UI).
Joel Stewart

Post by Joel Stewart » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:20 pm

In fact now the file crashes with every single save. Losing the newly created palette picker every time. I've tried duplicating the file with photoshop and re-importing, in case there is some kind of corruption. Still same result. The only thing I can think to do is copy each layer individually to a new document for the same reason and see if that helps. I should also try messing around with another file this size to prove whether it is just the one document. I don't have time for this really as I should be working on the damn image.
Joel Stewart

Post by Joel Stewart » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:30 pm

Brand new test file crashes the app just the same at about 10 layers.
Joel Stewart

Post by Joel Stewart » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:42 pm

Stress tested ProCreate up to 20 layers on a larger file. Absolutely no crashes or slow down or anything. Just brushes that I don't really like. Gah!
Joel Stewart

Post by Joel Stewart » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:42 pm

ErrkaPetti wrote:
Joel Stewart wrote:I'm getting crashes and memory close-outs every time I save the image I'm working on. The image is relatively large (5551 x 3307) with several layers, but it shows up as around 215mb in iTunes (photoshop tells me that the layered file is about 650mb). Surely Paintstorm should be able to handle this (ProCreate can). I've tried trashing other apps (but I don't think that's how iPad memory works anyway).

The crashes seem to sometimes lead to a weird kind of corruption where photoshop can't read the file anymore. Usually I can get the file back by re-saving via Paintstorm on desktop. I'm discovering these things as I keep backing up to desktop because I'm having so many crashes. It's all pretty frustrating.
Joel, I've made a test today with my iPad Pro 12.9" and a document with your size...

But, I've never has this kind of freazing or crashing since v.1.60 on my iPad Pro... Strange...
Every time I go over 8 layers at this size then I get crashing during saving and autosaving. Below that seems to be fine, though I haven't been testing for long. If you really can do this constantly with no crashes then I need to find out what is wrong with my setup! Of course I can design my next images to make sure I don't go over 8 layers, but it is limiting (and nerve-wracking not knowing when the next crash will hit!)
ErrkaPetti

Post by ErrkaPetti » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:35 pm

Joel Stewart wrote:
ErrkaPetti wrote:

Every time I go over 8 layers at this size then I get crashing during saving and autosaving. Below that seems to be fine, though I haven't been testing for long. If you really can do this constantly with no crashes then I need to find out what is wrong with my setup! Of course I can design my next images to make sure I don't go over 8 layers, but it is limiting (and nerve-wracking not knowing when the next crash will hit!)
Joel, can't you send me your document over Dropbox so I can see and test this on my iPad Pro?

It must be relative to some of your homemade brushes...?

For me Paintstorm Studio feels safe to use...
ErrkaPetti

Post by ErrkaPetti » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:38 pm

errkas (at) gmail.com
Joel Stewart

Post by Joel Stewart » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:07 pm

It doesn't seem to be document specific, as I get the same problem with any file that size and complexity.

I hope it isn't to do with my brushes. I suppose I could uninstall them temporarily and see what happens. Actually when I was having crashes before that killed the app completely it was because I had too many brushes. Could it be that brushes take up RAM? I certainly have more than I use so I could streamline perhaps.

At the moment it seems to be stable if I don't go over 8 layers. This is actually not too bad if I plan, but it would be better if I didn't have to worry.