List of suggestions and bugs on iPad

ErrkaPetti
Re: List of suggestions and bugs on iPad

Post by ErrkaPetti » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:10 pm

Joel Stewart wrote:It doesn't seem to be document specific, as I get the same problem with any file that size and complexity.

I hope it isn't to do with my brushes. I suppose I could uninstall them temporarily and see what happens. Actually when I was having crashes before that killed the app completely it was because I had too many brushes. Could it be that brushes take up RAM? I certainly have more than I use so I could streamline perhaps.

At the moment it seems to be stable if I don't go over 8 layers. This is actually not too bad if I plan, but it would be better if I didn't have to worry.
But in real life we only have one layer to doodling on: The paper/canvas!

I hope you come to an solution on your problems...
Joel Stewart

Post by Joel Stewart » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:14 pm

I ain't doodling, I'm illustrating to a deadline and I'm sad that with all this potential this app is still not really ready -especially with the amount of work I've put in to prepare brushes etc for the job.
ErrkaPetti

Post by ErrkaPetti » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:13 am

Joel Stewart wrote:I ain't doodling, I'm illustrating to a deadline and I'm sad that with all this potential this app is still not really ready -especially with the amount of work I've put in to prepare brushes etc for the job.
Ohhh, sorry for that!

Best luck!
Joel Stewart

Post by Joel Stewart » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:32 am

I've tried removing quite a number of brushes. No change. Still crashes on save. A couple of times the document has crashed and lost all the previous data, returning to a blank canvas in the default pixel dimensions. This isn't acceptable!
ErrkaPetti

Post by ErrkaPetti » Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:08 pm

Joel Stewart wrote:I've tried removing quite a number of brushes. No change. Still crashes on save. A couple of times the document has crashed and lost all the previous data, returning to a blank canvas in the default pixel dimensions. This isn't acceptable!
Hmmm...

But, I can't get my Paintstorm to crash on my iPad Pro 12.9" ?

Strange...

I'll make some more intensive tests...

I'll be back...
Joel Stewart

Post by Joel Stewart » Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:14 pm

Thanks! and Grrrr...

I've even tried it with only 7 brushes left (admittedly they were some of mine. I could try with none of mine I suppose...)
Joel Stewart

Post by Joel Stewart » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:53 am

Ok. I've tested with none of my custom brushes installed. Even after restarting the same problem persists so my brushes are ruled out.

I'm pretty sure it is just straight forward memory close-outs (though the fact that this can cause total annihilation of a document, including previously saved data, as has happened several times, is really worrying).

Interestingly I seem to be able to push the document up to about 12 or 13 layers before it starts to crash now that I have trashed a number of tabs in Safari (before it seemed to be around 9). Even though I had all other apps quitted when using Paintstorm. I wonder what else is hogging RAM in the background, but I can't see what else I can do about this.
ErrkaPetti

Post by ErrkaPetti » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:43 am

Now I also have caused an crash...

Picture size 6000x4080

20 layers jamed with contrnt

The two last with imported pictures from camera roll...

When I made an blur filtering on the top layer the app crashed...

But, I have the autosave to four minutes so I could restore the document without problem...

My feeling is that Paintstorm is more stable now than ever since release...

Crashing happens to more than paint apps in this caliber...
Joel Stewart

Post by Joel Stewart » Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:46 pm

Crashes like that yes. Mine are happening on 90 to 90% of saves and auto saves on a smaller document, and about 20% of those crashes cause the original document to be completely ruined. :(
Joel Stewart

Post by Joel Stewart » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:17 pm

Also on a file that size, even if autosave doesn't crash, nothing can be done to the document during autosave so having it autosave every four minutes would be very frustrating for me. (I had it set to 5 mins which was annoying, and then when I re-installed I left it at the default of 10 to see if it helped with the memory closeouts - it did not.)