List of suggestions and bugs on iPad

Joel Stewart
List of suggestions and bugs on iPad

Post by Joel Stewart » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:51 am

I am in love with Paintstorm's brush controls and features for iPad Pro and Apple Pencil. It is very nearly the perfect tool that I need for my professional illustration work. In trying to build a library of brushes and learn the app generally I have come a cross a few difficulties and bugs that I'm going to list here:

Suggestions:
Warning on deletion of brush categories "Do you really want to delete category, this will completely remove all brushes in category." It is very easy to lose a lot of brushes accidently at the moment -especially if you drag your pencil around since Delete is right next to Create New Category.

Warnings on deletion of brushes generally.

When importing brushes "Replace" should clearly warn that this replaces ALL categories. It should perhaps be possible to just replace the selected category or brush.

Renaming individual brushes should mean their file name is also renamed on export -always (currently it doesn't seem to happen. The same goes for Categories exported to icloud.

It should be simpler and quicker to use current selected brush as an eraser. Unless I am mistaken, at the moment you have to either make and rename a new eraser within the eraser category or go into the brush settings and change the brush to eraser.

Previews of saved files. Preferably within some sort of gallery space (as in ProCreate or Pixelmator). Ideally this would have the possibility of folders.

Export files to Airdrop, both from within the app, and multiple files from within a preview space/gallery.

Export brushes and categories (and textures?) via Airdop.

Bugs:
Individually saved brushes are often corrupted -or rather are saved as wrong brush (when saved to iTunes, I haven't tested cloud saving.) If a whole category (correctly named) is saved, the brushes within seem to remain intact.

A large file will seem to forget texture settings for some brushes - as though the texture is not there (perhaps my own texture tiles are larger than Paintstorm's?). They reappear on moving to a different document.

Brushes that have not yet been named or exported seem to disappear if there is a crash/memory close-out. On large files these memory close-outs happen often (it would be good if there was a way to stop that, or at least give warning).
support
Site Admin

Re: List of suggestions and bugs on iPad

Post by support » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:34 am

Thank your for suggestions...

You can find "Toggle eraser" in hot-buttons(hotkeys) - this function convert current brush to eraser.
Joel Stewart

Post by Joel Stewart » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:10 pm

That's useful, thanks!
ClaudiaP

Post by ClaudiaP » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:00 pm

One feature I would love to see if possible, would be when you lock a layer and save the file, then open it to work more the locked layer is unlocked. It would be so helpful if the locked layer would still be locked when you opened the file.

I also have noticed a few bugs with the most recent update on iPad Pro. One imported brush category is still there but all the brushes are gone, this isn't a tragedy since I can delete the category and import again from the saved file, just letting you know about it.

One that is a problem for me is I can be drawing and at some random time the brush/pencil I am using becomes corrupt and all settings are gone, there is no warning about this I just notice that my marks are very different suddenly, and even the brush dab is gone. closing Paintstorm Studio and restarting iPad puts the brush back the way it was. This happens quite frequently.

I have also had a number of crashes on both iPad and desktop versions since the last update, they appear to be random, painting along and poof Paintstorm is simply gone.

Paintstorm Studio is by far my favorite drawing/painting app on iPad Pro. :)
ErrkaPetti

Post by ErrkaPetti » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:07 pm

support wrote:Thank your for suggestions...

You can find "Toggle eraser" in hot-buttons(hotkeys) - this function convert current brush to eraser.
I you look deep in the Define Hotkeys you probably find alot of useful shortcuts that can be drawn out in the canvas UI...

Paintstorm Studio suprise me often when I dig deep in the app...

Hope we will see some progress in the iPad app into the summer & vacationperiod (alot of time doodling around)...
Joel Stewart

Post by Joel Stewart » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:18 am

ClaudiaP wrote: One that is a problem for me is I can be drawing and at some random time the brush/pencil I am using becomes corrupt and all settings are gone, there is no warning about this I just notice that my marks are very different suddenly, and even the brush dab is gone. closing Paintstorm Studio and restarting iPad puts the brush back the way it was. This happens quite frequently.

I have also had a number of crashes on both iPad and desktop versions since the last update, they appear to be random, painting along and poof Paintstorm is simply gone.

Paintstorm Studio is by far my favorite drawing/painting app on iPad Pro. :)
I've had both the above issues too.
Joel Stewart

Post by Joel Stewart » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:22 am

I've been in contact via email about the serious crashes that result in the app having to be re-installed that I've been getting on importing brush categories from Dropbox, but I'll mention them here in case it is helpful:

I've had crashes when downloading to iPad Pro from Dropbox a saved backup of a category of brushes. I've had what seemed to be the same crash on the Trial version of the desktop app on Mac (I have the paid version now and will see if it does the same -I think there isn't any difference however, just unlocked functions).

The support team have tested my brush set on iPad and Windows and didn't get the same crash (it happened twice to me on iPad and once on desktop -but I've exported categories and imported them many more times than that). They mentioned that there is a 300 brush limit on the iPad (nowhere does it say this, and there is no warning) but that this might be the cause since there are around 200 brushes in the app from the start. I've made about 60, but I realise that I have sometimes had multiple versions of a category installed, which would have taken me over this limit. I'm no expert, but I wonder why there should be a limit except to the number of textures and forms -the rest is surely just a list of settings that can't take up much space.

If there has to be a limit then hopefully in future there can be a warning and the function not be allowed, rather than the complete death of the app until it is re-installed (and the loss of anything not backed up).

Support mentioned that you will be able to drag brushes from one category to another in a forthcoming update, this will be really useful and I wonder if it might also be a chance to tidy up these glitches (and others) in the importing and exporting of brushes.

I've also had a warning when exporting a category of brushes if I have a brush mask (still learning how to use these) from a brush that is in another category. All in all this brush engine is simply amazing, but also deeply confusing!
Joel Stewart

Post by Joel Stewart » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:40 am

ErrkaPetti wrote:

I you look deep in the Define Hotkeys you probably find alot of useful shortcuts that can be drawn out in the canvas UI...

Paintstorm Studio suprise me often when I dig deep in the app...

Hope we will see some progress in the iPad app into the summer & vacationperiod (alot of time doodling around)...
"Is there a copy canvas to device clipboard" function? On iPad I mean. I can't find it, but it would be very useful for quickly taking drawings into other apps without needing to go via the camera roll etc.
Furea

Post by Furea » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:58 pm

Hello,
I've noticed every time I quit the app I need to activate the "rotation by finger gesture" option. Is there a way to keep this selected forever?
Also often after I change rotation of the ipad some panels move to areas outside of the screen that I can't access... It would be great if you could fix this bug.
aboutle

Post by aboutle » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:40 am

This little function is just one of the best of paintstorm ! I can draw by erasing the same way I draw by putting digital ink. Than is for that !