The option to color artwork with gradient maps

colorwave
The option to color artwork with gradient maps

Post by colorwave » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:58 am

Artists are using the gradient maps in Photoshop to color their artwork faster.

These are some examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3hPs8RCI6k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHbfot1F8J4

I would love it if this feature becomes available in Paintstorm Studio someday.
ErrkaPetti

Re: The option to color artwork with gradient maps

Post by ErrkaPetti » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:37 pm

colorwave wrote:Artists are using the gradient maps in Photoshop to color their artwork faster.

These are some examples:

Can't you already make a similar thing with all kind of layer optins?

I just did an screenshoot from Youtube on your video and caroonstrip, and played around with a few commands an made the strip look like yours in the end of the video...
support
Site Admin

Post by support » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:25 am

ErrkaPetti wrote:
colorwave wrote:
I just did an screenshoot from Youtube on your video and caroonstrip, and played around with a few commands an made the strip look like yours in the end of the video...
Do you mean lighten/darken? You should record video tutorial ;)
colorwave

Post by colorwave » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:14 am

ErrkaPetti wrote:
colorwave wrote:Artists are using the gradient maps in Photoshop to color their artwork faster.

These are some examples:

Can't you already make a similar thing with all kind of layer optins?

I have no idea how this can be done with Paintstorm Studio. If you found a way, feel free to share a tutorial with us. Was your method with Paintstorm Studio as fast as using Photoshop’s gradient maps? How did you pick multiple colors for the desired effect?

I’m particularly interested in producing the effect shown in the second video. I need to do the grayscale shading first and then apply the gradient colors. This is one of the main features in Photoshop that keeps me using it. I prefer Paintstorm Studio over Photoshop because it’s specifically made for artists but the gradient maps is a very important feature that I really hope will eventually become a part of this program. I save a lot of time coloring artwork with gradient maps since I don’t have to worry about mixing colors. I can also easily change the colors afterwards, which is very helpful.

Thank you for the reply and let me know if you have any tips for me :)
nnurgle2

Post by nnurgle2 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:08 am

As soon as I found paintstorm on ipad, I purchased it as well as two licenses for my desktop computers. It can almost completely replace photoshop for me and is much better designed. I second the gradient map request. It is one of the features I still need photoshop for. (the other items preventing a total removal of photoshop from my computer is for importing other file types like tiff and SGI's .rgb format)
support
Site Admin

Post by support » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:47 am

Gradient map is already available at filter-smart color correction
s6.

Post by s6. » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:28 pm

The gradient map filter is definitely useful, but what would go significantly further in my opinion is an adjustment layer.

When the gradient map is above your heightmap as an adjustment layer, you can paint on the heightmap and see it update in real time with the gradient mapping applied.

This is hugely beneficial in game art, and texturing, where we are constantly using gradient maps and heightmaps to reduce our memory footprint.

Painting on the heightmap "blind" though, is very difficult, not being able to see what the result is stroke by stroke. This becomes an even bigger problem if you are using gradient maps someone else has already created, and need to author your heightmap to work with specific predefined gradients.

Also, the filter is destructive. Once you've committed it, it's committed forever. Adjustment layers offer you the flexibility to make corrections at any time. This is hugely useful for any industry/application.

I apologize if it sounds like i'm bashing the functionality. I'm certain you've worked hard to implement it. Though Paintstorm and it's brush engine are such a joy to work with, not being able to utilize that power for the majority of our textures is a shame.

If I had one wish for this program it would be gradient mapping adjustment layers (and being able to save the gradient out to share with P.S.).

I've attached an example section of a tiling heightmap of mine, with a few variations of gradient mapping, to illustrate what the point. I painted this in photoshop a year or two ago, and I think i turned ok, for being painted in PS. I can only image the improvement we'd see if we could do the same in Paintstorm :)

Thanks for your time,

-s
Attachments
GradientMapping.PNG
GradientMapping.PNG (602.32KiB)Viewed 4580 times
support
Site Admin

Post by support » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:13 am

Ok, thank you for example. I hope, one day we'll realize adjustment layers.
ArmorWraith

Post by ArmorWraith » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:12 pm

That reminds me so much of borderlands style. Love that game!

Armor