Enhancing parameter binding to the perspective feature

colorwave
Enhancing parameter binding to the perspective feature

Post by colorwave » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:06 am

My suggestion will be about enhancing an existing feature, which is the parameter binding to the perspective.

With this feature, you are changing the brush size automatically in order to create the illusion of distance. Why not incorporate other aspects of aerial perspective into this feature?

EXAMPLES:

1) Change in Color - In the daytime, a mountain range will usually appear bluer and lighter as it gets further and further away from us. A green tree will appear purple, then blue as it recedes into the distance. The color becomes less and less saturated as it disappears into the distance.

2) Change in Tone – Everything gets paler as it recedes into the distance. Dark tones change more dramatically than lighter tones.

3) Change in Contrast – When the distance increases, the contrast between structures and their environment decreases (e.g., a mountain and its background).

4) Change in Detail – The further away something is, the less detailed it becomes. Closer objects have a more pronounced texture than further away objects.

5) Hard and Soft Edges – Sharply defined edges appear closer and soft edges appear further away.

6) Weather Conditions - Colors are influenced by weather conditions. When it’s a clear day with a blue sky, structures appear bluer in the distance. When stormy gray clouds cover the sky and there is no blue sky visible, you wont see as much blue in the distance. If the atmosphere is foggy, the effects of aerial perspective will become noticeable even closer to the viewer. Fog lightens, reduces contrast, cools and mutes colors, eliminates detail, softens edges and shortens visibility (thereby flattening the picture plane).

7) Aerial Perspective on Whites & Light Colors – Pure whites and light colors hold on to their value for a long distance. However, they are also affected by atmospheric perspective. Faraway white structures will appear cooler and duller than they appear from up close. White buildings in the distance might pick up a grey/blue hue. White clouds tend to grow darker and warmer as they recede, but the ones close to the light source (a.k.a the sun) appear lighter.

8) Apply Aerial Perspective to Line Art, Both Black & Colored – The black lines would become lighter and softer as they recede into the distance. The colored lines also become lighter and softer, but they take on a different hue.

There are so many aspects to aerial perspective, most which I’m sure will be difficult to include, but even adding some would make a difference. It would be great if there was a way to adjust the perspective brush settings in order to quickly produce aerial perspective within an environment.

I’m learning to create my own comic and Paintstorm Studio has made me think that maybe I can make it in color. The backgrounds are a problem for me because it is difficult to paint the same background over and over. It would be helpful if I could quickly set up the underlying colors without going to the color wheel all the time to change the color. Then I can easily add the details to make it into the background I have in mind.

I don’t expect the program to do all of the work or become a substitute for artistic knowledge, but it would be beneficial to have some features that speed up the painting process, especially since making comics requires a lot of repetitive work.

Thank you for listening to my ideas!
support
Site Admin

Re: Enhancing parameter binding to the perspective feature

Post by support » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:41 pm

You can simulate most of this, but you say mountains and buildings - it will be correct only if it's a brush form - whole mountain is a brush form, because a top of mountain is far from perspective point.

For DOF effect you can create double brush, and setup second brush as a blur connected to perspective.
Use brightens and slider to add pale and light effect.