Layers missing features

n-pigeon
Layers missing features

Post by n-pigeon » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:51 pm

1. Ability to move multiple layers at the same time. For now it is possible to move only one even if selected multiple.
2. Moving existing layer to empty folder is very hard to accomplish :/
3. It would be very useful to have option to collapse folder to layer.
4. Merging layer to folder.
5. Toggling clipping layer on multiple layers.
6. Option to after selecting multiple layers create new folder and automatically place them in it.
support
Site Admin

Re: Layers missing features

Post by support » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:29 pm

n-pigeon wrote:1. Ability to move multiple layers at the same time. For now it is possible to move only one even if selected multiple.
??? you can move it
n-pigeon wrote:5. Toggling clipping layer on multiple layers.
Do you mean - clopping layer to to the folder?
n-pigeon

Post by n-pigeon » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:13 am

support wrote:
n-pigeon wrote:1. Ability to move multiple layers at the same time. For now it is possible to move only one even if selected multiple.
??? you can move it
Hehe ^^ not on canvas but on layer stack to reorganize layers :)
support wrote:
n-pigeon wrote:5. Toggling clipping layer on multiple layers.
Do you mean - clopping layer to to the folder?
No, no (although clipping masking to folders would be nice too).
I mean situation when you want to make multiple layers clip to layer bellow. :)
Workflow like this for example:
1. Select multiple layers
2. Press clipping mask button or hotkey
3. Selected layers go into clipping mask mode
Rinine

Post by Rinine » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:30 am

n-pigeon wrote: Workflow like this for example:
1. Select multiple layers
2. Press clipping mask button or hotkey
3. Selected layers go into clipping mask mode
In this scenario would be better all of your layers in a folder with clipping mask.

But yes, now you have to go one at a time, both options should be implement, because if something works with one layer, should work with more.
And same for folders.

Because if you try something like that, the feel is the program not working (even more with the context menu options in a folder)
brianhermelijn

Post by brianhermelijn » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:31 am

support wrote:
??? you can move it
1. Currently you can't move multiple layers, even if you have them all selected, when you move it doesn't move all of them. Either we're doing something wrong or the feature is simply not there. I also confirmed this with another fellow user whom I referred to try the program (purchased), however again, that option is not available, he also tried it.

2. Ditto this. It's really difficult to manage layers to folders, or let alone group layers. The functionality of that is simply not as smooth in comparison to photoshop. For example, in Photoshop I am able to select multiple layers and just press "Ctrl + G" to group those layers into a folder, however in Paintstorm, I have to drag the layers in the folder or use the "Up" and "Down" arrow to move them in the folder.

3. Agreed. It saves you the space of having to manage your groups + layers if we get the ability to hide/unhide folders.

4. What I wrote at "2"

5. From what I noticed, this doesn't work either. As in, you select multiple layers, and add them as clipping mask at the same time, instead of 1 at a time.

6. What I wrote at "2"
brianhermelijn

Post by brianhermelijn » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:38 am

After digging around a bit, it seems there is currently a "layer group" moving option available, appearently you have to hold all the layers select down for 1.5s to 2s or so, and then it flashes, after that you can move the layers.

I do not know why there is a delay for moving layers or why it's not more obvious to see to the general public, but the delay I feel should be reconsidered to "no delay" for drag + drop.
n-pigeon

Post by n-pigeon » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:34 am

Krita is handling clipping mask (alpha inheritance) pretty impressively:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2HB57GeeVE

Well layer management in Krita is also really well done :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2ZoQobsSWE