App has potential but is currently USELESS

JCannon
App has potential but is currently USELESS

Post by JCannon » Mon May 01, 2017 9:07 pm

This app is designed for kids and dabblers, not for serious artists.

Dabblers use laptops and tablets; REAL artists use desktop workstations with multiple monitors. In Photoshop and Clip Studio Paint, I can place tool panels wherever I please across my monitors. That's impossible with Paintstorm: The panels do not travel beyond the boundaries of the app. A very frustrating situation, especially since I absolutely refuse to work fullscreen with ANY program. (I like to have immediate access to my desktop icons.)

Worst of all is the lack of floating document windows. For crying out loud, HOW THE HELL AM I SUPPOSED TO SEE MY REFERENCE MATERIAL? Not every artist works entirely "out of his own head." We use ref.

Let's say, for example, that I've been asked to create a cartoon of Donald Trump as Han Solo. In Photoshop or Clip Studio Paint, I would place an array of Trumpian images across my screens -- other cartoons, photos, anything that would help. I'd also toss up some images of Harrison Ford as Han Solo. Somewhere in the middle of all this would be a large blank floating document where I would draw/paint my caricature, using details all from the other images.

This is pretty much how caricaturists have always worked, even in the pre-digital age.

Judging from the YouTube videos I've seen, this program has much potential. But until the UI is redesigned for professionals, I would consider this program a toy for young people. A few days ago, I sent word out to family members that I'd like Paintstorm Studio as a birthday present. Sorry, but I'm changing that request.
support
Site Admin

Re: App has potential but is currently USELESS

Post by support » Wed May 03, 2017 1:59 pm

1)Why you can't open all these references at the other display by the third party content (some explorers and image viewers)?

2)The better way - combine all your references to the one canvas and open it in the reference panel. Because if you arrange it all with the several "photoshop style" windows you will loose it all after Photoshop restarting.

3)Professional or not professional, is not depending on the monitor count. For example, 90% of PIXIV art was painted in SAI without multimonitor supporting.

Anyway, this future in our "to do" list.
ArmorWraith

Post by ArmorWraith » Wed May 03, 2017 4:41 pm

"Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do doesn't mean it's useless."
Thomas A. Edison

This is one of the finest painting programs I have used to date. Your excuses for insulting it are mostly unfounded.
Your post is largely to troll a wide variety of folks, and lacks any real constructive criticism or feedback.

Literally everything you mentioned is a personal problem, or the inability to accept this program is not a photoshop clone.
Paintstorm at its core is a pure painting program, photoshop is an image editing suite, they do not have the same end goals.

Your post is a joke, I'm glad you won't be joining our community. Toxic is all I get from the way you present yourself.

"A Poor Craftsman Blames His Tools"

All the best,

Armor
Blendie

Post by Blendie » Wed May 03, 2017 5:50 pm

As ArmorWraith said, plus, JCannon, why not focus on what's great about PSS? Clearly you really like something about it, or wouldn't be demanding your work method accommodated. Insulting exceptional artists and art across the board will get you nowhere, btw. I have never loved an art program so much and am going deeper into enjoying art, and progressing, than I ever have before; it's beauty and simplicity mean you can just get on with painting freely, and it's so like traditional painting, too. I've had to try out so many different programs and ways of working along the way, and at last am settling, in a form I never imagined previously. Follow support's suggestions and you may just find you enjoy PSS way more than you ever thought you could.
AMD, SparkyOS/Mate, XP-Pen Deco v2
postmodernist

Post by postmodernist » Fri May 05, 2017 3:45 pm

Your post seems to display a certain immaturity in its delivery. Sure, PSS is a developing painting application and is not yet perfect, but IT IS developing in exactly the way artists' want. Real artists are defined by their art and not by the tools they use to achieve it.

The ability to display tool panels across multiple monitors/workstations would be a useful addition however it is not fundamental to the painting process. I, for one, would not want my painting area littered with reference images. I use Kuadro for that (a free reference app), that allows you to gather, collate and save individual sets of reference materials that can be displayed on a second monitor. Perhaps this may be of use for you.

PSS is an excellent painting application. Calling it USELESS simply because it doesn't perfectly match your individual workflow is a puerile response. If you think Photoshop or Clip Studio Paint are so much better, why are you looking for something else?

Best wishes

Les
chrr

Post by chrr » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:31 pm

I suggest you look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0qircnBupw then revise your opinion.