(Linux) Libinput support (Support for non-wacom tablets)

cestarian
(Linux) Libinput support (Support for non-wacom tablets)

Post by cestarian » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:21 am

Libinput is basically the new and cool input driver here to replace evdev and xf86-input-wacom among other things (and by that I mean it sorta already has replaced them, most distros ship it by default), it already has full support for wacom tablets, and apparently (I didn't know about this till today due to lack of documentation on supported devices...) it also works with off brand tablets, including my yiynova MVP22U, I wouldn't be surprised if it works with all the digimend supported tablets.

It basically already works with Paintstorm, the only thing that doesn't work in paintstorm are tablet unique functions such as pressure sensitivity (and probably also tilt, although non-wacom tablets do not have tilt support to begin with so I wouldn't know)

This essentially means that with libinput, wacom tablet users have out-of-the-box tablet support (pressure sensitivity and all) in most modern linux distributions without needing to install the xf86-input-wacom driver which is starting to grow old and obsolete (people should only have to install it if libinput somehow isn't working for them)

I'd really appreciate it if support for this driver would be added to the linux version, it'd be so nice to be able to ditch windows and just use paintstorm on Linux, seriously. (I'm so sick of windows... it keeps breaking on me randomly, whereas linux tends to just work, and doesn't break unless I do something that breaks it)

I hope this gets added soon :)
Last edited by cestarian on Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cestarian

Re: (Linux) Libinput support (Support for non-wacom tablets)

Post by cestarian » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:04 am

Bumping this, cus it's important :D
Blendie

Post by Blendie » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:46 pm

Adding a +1 also.
AMD, SparkyOS/Mate, XP-Pen Deco v2
joskar

Post by joskar » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:46 pm

+1

This would enable Surface owners to being able to use their devices as intended (on Linux). Right now the pen does not have any pressure sensitivity in Paintstorm, but it works fine in other applications (mypaint, krita, blender).
scurest

Post by scurest » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:12 am

I'd appreciate this too if possible ー ◡ ー

Talking to libinput or evdev or whatever is actually Xorg's job though. Paintstorm just needs to be taught to use the same XInput stuff it uses for Wacom tablets for other tablets too.

It looks like currently it looks for a device from XListInputDevices with a name matching "Wacom XXXXX stylus". I can fake my pen's name to match that and I can see (by hooking into XNextEvent) that the pressure appears to get delivered to Paintstorm in axis_data[2] in the XDeviceMotionEvent without further changes. Unfortunately, when I do this the cursor jumps around like crazy and there's still no pressure, and that's as far as I was able to investigate.

There's an example here of getting pressure from X. Maybe it could be helpful? https://github.com/ApoorvaJ/EasyTab/blo ... #L669-L759