Pastel! we need Pastel!

Chanree
Pastel! we need Pastel!

Post by Chanree » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:04 pm

Yes boys and girls! we need Pastel :D If someone or the del sees this. I would be happy to see more of it <3 including the paper. ....I'm mad about pastel o.o; ok?
Long_haired_artist

Re: Pastel! we need Pastel!

Post by Long_haired_artist » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:59 am

How to make pastels.
Start with a real pastel paper
1. Take a picture of your favorite pastel paper with various lighting.
2. Import to Paintstorm, and resize to your finished dimensions using transform or copy/paste and cloning to clean up edges
3. Keep your paper as a locked top layer with a layer blending mode such as multiply applied.

Make a custom brush texture
1. Copy a section of your paper and paste it into a new canvas already sized to 100x100 pixels. It will be clipped.
2. Select All and copy/paste in place to preserve the original, just in case
3. Turn on seamless mode and use a simple cloner to smooth the edge transitions
4. When you are satisfied with the seamlessness of the texture, save as png
5. Import to your brush by tapping the texture picture in your brush options/texture tab. If you didn’t make a canvas as 100x100 it will demand a square.

Make a custom brush form
1. Now return to make visible only that preserved layer and make a circular selection with a small gap from the edge of the canvas. Invert selection and erase everything outside the circle. You now have the beginnings of a custom pastel form.
2. Invert selection again, so now you have a circle. Black will translate into opaque pixels, grey to white will have a degree of transparency. Use a radial gradient or paint a single dot with a large low opacity airbrush to give a gradation from the center out. Start gentle and use Filter/Color Correction to adjust contrast. With selection tool active, you can “Capture Form”
3. You can now make several forms with subtle variation and activate “Set of Forms” that plays in sequence or by some parameter.
4. Apply Pressure to “Extends Color” for oily pastels
5. Adjust “Blur” to achieve softness
6. Repeat with 250x250 and 500x500 pixel textures to improve the detail and maybe set your computer on fire. Try using a square selection for sharp edges on capturing your form, and set Pen Direction on Angle. Achieve depth of paint by activating Use Radial under the Color tab of your Brush Options.
support
Site Admin

Re: Pastel! we need Pastel!

Post by support » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:55 am

Something scary even for me :) Better to record video tutorial.

But as I understand, all you want to get "called pastel" is the texture of paper combined with the same texture of brush. If yes, you can make the seamless texture and apply it to the brush, after just find a required scale.