Blender tool

okuma_10
Blender tool

Post by okuma_10 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:33 pm

Have the blender brushes in their separate tool,or something like that.

I think it's counter intuitive to have the blender brushes and actual brushes on the same tool.If you are painting and usuing blender brushes to smudge the paint a bit, and then go back to painting.At the current state of PSS,you have to paint,go to the brush panel--->blender section--->specific blend brush.And then you have to repeat the same back for the brush you used before the blend brush.

In comparison with photoshop,you have the two tools separated and the switching between them is just a matter of a single hot key.Yes you can map a brush to a hotkey in PSS.And I did tried it.But to me and my workflow that is just too many hotkeys.Because I want to press a key for a brush tool(that remembers the brush I used) and paint and whenever I need it(like for 1-2 sec) press a key a for a blender tool(that remembers the brush I used).And sometimes I want to use one blender but then change it to another.Likewise I want to quickly get back to my old paint brush,or maybe try out a new one.
Florian G.

Re: Blender tool

Post by Florian G. » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:10 am

This is the whole magic about Paintstorm (well at least one reason of many) that blending isn't a separate tool, but a brush setting. — So it's intensity can be controlled and also be bind to the pens pressure sensitivity.

Here are my suggestions as a solution:
1) Create a custom brush category with all the paint- and blending brushes that you need (then you'll never have to switch between any categories).
-or-
2) Bind the blending intensity to a key. This way you don't have to change the brush at all, all you do is decrease and increase the blending intensity of your current brush.
-or-
3) Another intuitive solution is to create a custom brush that only blends when you press very light but adds more and more color the more you apply pressure to the pen.

The last suggestion is how I handle this — blending and painting with one brush. If you are interested in the brush you can tell me. But you should really check this out because it seems that you aren't very familiar with the customization and flexibility Paintstorm offers so far.
IgorS

Post by IgorS » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:33 pm

okuma_10 wrote:Because I want to press a key for a brush tool(that remembers the brush I used) and paint and whenever I need it(like for 1-2 sec) press a key a for a blender tool(that remembers the brush I used).And sometimes I want to use one blender but then change it to another.Likewise I want to quickly get back to my old paint brush,or maybe try out a new one.
I already assumed the similar feature (first paragraph):
http://paintstormstudio.com/forum/viewt ... f=5&t=4279
But answer is: "use hotkey for separate brush"... :|
I don't know how much time consuming to realize it, but I think it could be done, because "Eraser" button already send us to brush category "Erasers".
okuma_10

Post by okuma_10 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:58 pm

Florian G. wrote: But you should really check this out because it seems that you aren't very familiar with the customization and flexibility Paintstorm offers so far.
Actually I'm quite familiar with the customization and flexibility as I'm using PSS for a long time.I have already thought of the same solutions you have given Florian.However the only thing that could be a solution is the "make separate brush category" suggestion.However,that as well requires for me to get out of my zone and start searching brushes on the screen,rather than just toggle them.All the other suggestions are useless because I want my brush to behave in one way,and my blender brush to behave in another.And not as just a modification of the same brush.

IgorS - yes I also think that this is a solution.To be able to bind hotkeys to brush categories.And have the category remember the last used brush,as an option.Binding multiple brushes to multiple hotkeys is just to much of a hassle to use.If all you want is to have a category what remembers the last used brush,and to be able to toggle between categories.Another thing I find annoying is when I switch to the blenders,do my thing and go back to my brush...instead of remembering where I left in the list,it resets the list from the top...so now I have to do extra searching.Having a custom category or a panel with brushes I use most often is a work around for now I guess.But still it is a work around.
Florian G.

Post by Florian G. » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:24 am

In this case, I want to retract my statement and also want to apologize if it sounded too gruffly.

Maybe another workaround is to use a hotkey for "previous brush". So you can switch back and forth between the last two selected brushes with only one hotkey. However, this chain gets broken as soon as you use an eraser. But if you do not use an eraser, it basically does what you wanted to. — Combined with a custom brush palette of course. (But I do understand, this is not the exact thing you had in mind. But maybe its close enough, at least for now.)
support
Site Admin

Post by support » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:44 am

To be able to bind hotkeys to brush categories.And have the category remember the last used brush,as an option
Saved.
kingzeroth

Post by kingzeroth » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:40 pm

support wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:44 am
To be able to bind hotkeys to brush categories.And have the category remember the last used brush,as an option
Saved.
Sorry for Nekroing an old post but I'd like to chime in to say that I'd also like to have a separate Blending tool that can be mapped to a hotkey. It would basically be like how the eraser tool is working now as of ver 2.43.
support
Site Admin

Post by support » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:32 pm

kingzeroth wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:40 pm

Sorry for Nekroing an old post but I'd like to chime in to say that I'd also like to have a separate Blending tool that can be mapped to a hotkey. It would basically be like how the eraser tool is working now as of ver 2.43.
Just bind individual hotkey for your blender... So the "edge" between blender and blending brush is uncertain
kingzeroth

Post by kingzeroth » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:19 pm

support wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:32 pm
kingzeroth wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:40 pm

Just bind individual hotkey for your blender... So the "edge" between blender and blending brush is uncertain
Thank you for the reply. However, I'm not sure what you mean by
the "edge" between blender and blending brush is uncertain
Binding a key to a blending brush does not give the same workflow as having a separate toggle-able tool at the moment. Let's say if I bind "D" for blending brush, I cannot press "B" to switch back to my painting brush afterward since the blending brush is also from the Brush Tool. I'll have to open the brush menu to re-select my painting brush or assign another key for Previous Brush and press an extra hotkey that isn't as conveniently placed as "B". Where as if it is a toggle-able tool like the Eraser Tool, I can press "D" for blending, "B" for my painting brush and "E" for my eraser. It's the same reason why Eraser deserves a separate tool button even though it's essentially also a brush from the brush tool.
Erasers in Paintstorm studio realized with the different way in comparison with other painting software. There is no any special eraser tool in the tool panel. Erasers are just a same brushes, switched to the eraser mode.
The same can be said to Blending.
ciano

Post by ciano » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:56 am

Hi,
would be nice to have a "toggle" binding. Like if I press a toggle binding, it switch to the blender brush and when I''ll press again It will return to the previous brush.
I wanna create an experience like Zbrush where when I press and hold shift I can smooth, in paintstorm I want to blend.

So a toggle binding or until I hold binding.

That will be hansome!