Texture & Double Brush Blend Modes

eyald
Texture & Double Brush Blend Modes

Post by eyald » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:45 pm

First of all I want to say that this program is great and becomes even better every time!
So far Paintstorm is the only program I've seen so far other than Photoshop to have the "dual brush" feature. This feature in my mind is the main factor behind Photoshop's best "painterly" brushes.

In order to improve Paintstorm's engine to replicate what Photoshop is doing, I would suggest adding blend modes to the existing ones on the texture, and adding them to the double brush, for example, Photoshop has the dual brush with an overlay, color dodge etc which really creates some interesting effects and great brushes!

dual brush modes are: multiply, darken, overlay, color dodge, color burn, linear burn, hard mix, linear height
texture modes are: multiply, subtract, darken, overlay, color dodge, color burn, linear burn, hard mix, linear height, height

I think having all of these blend modes for double brush and texture in Paintstorm would really make the brush engine even more fantastic.

Thanks! :)
vezinho

Re: Texture & Double Brush Blend Modes

Post by vezinho » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:16 pm

I second that suggestion … Would be great !!!
Long_haired_artist

Post by Long_haired_artist » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:27 am

Thirding
I had experimented with a dual brush as a means to have one brush laying pixels then followed by a distortion type brush. I found that if one brush had a larger stabilization value then it would trail the other. I don’t remember exactly, but I think I noted there were some limitations to blending modes. Checking... oh right! The first brush can assume a blending mode, but the second brush uses normal blending mode, no matter how you set it.
Although, hmmm... you know what? You can apply a greater stabilization in the first brush to get it (and a blending mode) to follow the second brush!

I’m interested in seeing more blending modes available in these different dual brush/texture combos too. Would also be super stoked to see a parameter control for texture, like perhaps binding texture scale to horizon line.
thinknervous

Post by thinknervous » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:36 am

The stabilization issue has an easy fix. Just click on the icon underneath the "Invert" radio button, it's two arrows in a circle. Then check "stabilizer." This will ensure that the dabs between the two brushes always line up, no matter what the stabilizer setting is on the dual brush. That doesn't solve the blending mode issue, but still--FYI.
support
Site Admin

Post by support » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:53 am

Yes, the current Paintstorm double brush is not perfect, we planning to improve it