Behind blend mode

thinknervous
Behind blend mode

Post by thinknervous » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:29 am

I guess this is pretty easy to reproduce (albeit as a workaround with extra steps) with layers, but I would really like for there to be a "behind" blend mode like there is in Photoshop, Krita, and probably many others. I use it a lot in other software, enough for the layers workaround to be a real hassle.

(someone mentioned this in a longer list of miscellaneous recommendations and you saved "some" of them, but I wanted to mention it specifically.)
Long_haired_artist

Re: Behind blend mode

Post by Long_haired_artist » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:47 am

It’s an interesting effect! Seems like it is the inverse of protecting transparent pixels. Existing pixels are protected and so you can only draw to alpha.
Does this effect happen per stroke, or as each form/dab is laid down?
Would we want half opacity pixels to be protected halfway? Does draw behind resolve color mixing any differently?
thinknervous

Re: Behind blend mode

Post by thinknervous » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:15 am

I hadn't thought about how it would affect color blending! Might be cool to have an option to blend it with the colors above it in the current layer as well as blending with what's below. Or maybe not an option, maybe that's just how it would work. I'm not sure how other applications handle that because I haven't used other blending systems much.

I never thought of it as the "inverse of protecting transparent pixels," but that's exactly what it is. Interesting way of looking at it. As far as I know in other applications this is per dab; I'm not sure what the difference would be between per dab/per stroke though.

And yes, half-opacity pixels would be protected halfway. The end result would look the same as if you painted on a different layer underneath the half-opacity pixels.