Brushes Palette needs a COMPLETE REWRITE

asdfpaint
Brushes Palette needs a COMPLETE REWRITE

Post by asdfpaint » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:26 am

I won't go into too many details of what is wrong with it since it SUCKS SO BAD that it just needs to be eliminated completely and start over from scratch.

The key is to have a brushes palette that is customizable in a systematic fashion that actually makes sense and workable. Take a look at Photoshop CC's brushes palette, or even Krita.

When I say take a look at it, i mean make it EXACTLY like them. To the developer, if your reaction is "but Paintstorm's current brushes palette can already do those things", then you are completely wrong and fact remains that it needs to be completely redone from scratch.

A second thing that needs to get done is to better categorize the brushes. Currently, there is a Main Brushes, Circle Brushes, Square brushes (or something like that), etc. That is not a very good system of categories. Probably better to have category system like this: Drawing, Blending, Painting, Texture, Charcoal, etc. Take a look at Corel Painter or Krita for a better idea of how to categorize brushes.

An important addendum to the notion of categorizing brushes is to completely seperate all the completely wacky, useless "demo" brushes to it's own category. There is literally these bizarre "demo"-ish brushes literally filled in every category. Please contain all these specialty brushes on their own.
support
Site Admin

Re: Brushes Palette needs a COMPLETE REWRITE

Post by support » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:43 am

When I say take a look at it, i mean make it EXACTLY like them. To the developer, if your reaction is "but Paintstorm's current brushes palette can already do those things", then you are completely wrong and fact remains that it needs to be completely redone from scratch.
Not understand what do you mean... Photoshop brushes are weak. You can find something very special that photoshop can do, but in 90% settings it looser and inflexible. Brushes palette in photoshop is terrible too, you see the mass of grayscale unscaleable(like you wish) icons in one bunch
a67819008

Post by a67819008 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:54 am

I think the brush is very good,PS do not have this effect。
Is you don't use it。
Jimez80

Post by Jimez80 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:40 am

asdfpaint wrote:A second thing that needs to get done is to better categorize the brushes. Currently, there is a Main Brushes, Circle Brushes, Square brushes (or something like that), etc. That is not a very good system of categories. Probably better to have category system like this: Drawing, Blending, Painting, Texture, Charcoal, etc. Take a look at Corel Painter or Krita for a better idea of how to categorize brushes.
I think you are misunderstanding how brushes are suppose to work. You are suppose to make your own that fit your own work. Those brushes are largely just examples. Even in other applications this is true. Gimp doesn't include a green pepper brush because it's useful, it's just an example of how the brush engine works.

What you need to do is create your own category, and put your brushes there. That's kinda what makes paintstorm so good, it's the insane amount of control you have over ever aspect of the UI and brushes.
SilverSurfer1221

Post by SilverSurfer1221 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:53 pm

I'll have to disagree with the original poster. I am a professional artist and have worked both for companies and as freelance for literally decades. I am well versed in Photoshop and still have to use it til this day (due to clients). So, I am well familiar with Photoshop, it's brushes, and it's brush palette.

Having said that, I find that the brushes in Paintstorm are a lot more powerful. I find it easier to create a brush I need for a task or to adjust any of the already supplied brushes to fit my needs.

Oh, and if you don't like the categories that Paintstorm has for brushes, then create your own. I did. It's pretty simple, actually.
IgorS

Post by IgorS » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:55 pm

Hmm, I would like to see brush palette closer to ClipStudioPaint rather than Photoshop (nevertheless Adobe in CC2018 made brush organization slightly better), with 3 level of organization (fully customazible tool panel > subtool category > and tool itself) with ability to assign shortkey to each level.
But still PSS palette indeed better suits drawing/painting purpose than PS.
asdfpaint

Post by asdfpaint » Sun May 27, 2018 9:19 am

First, I wanna apologize for coming off as kind of an @-hole in the original thread. I wrote it coming off a frustrating experience trying to customize the brushes palette.

I am talking about the Brushes PALETTE. The menu where you pick your brushes. Not the brush Settings..
IgorS wrote:Hmm, I would like to see brush palette closer to ClipStudioPaint rather than Photoshop (nevertheless Adobe in CC2018 made brush organization slightly better), with 3 level of organization (fully customazible tool panel > subtool category > and tool itself) with ability to assign shortkey to each level.
But still PSS palette indeed better suits drawing/painting purpose than PS.
Completely agreed. My personal favorite brushes palette style is Corel Painter. The renovated brushes palette in CC2018 comes in 2nd. 3rd goes to Krita, although Krita's tag system is totally buggy right now.

Some issues I'll point out a about Paintstorm's current brushes palette system:

-The system of pressing up and down to re-arrange brush groups is clunky. It should be drag and drop re-arrange
-Bug- eraser group MUST be 2nd from the top or it will bug out the "E" button to switch to Eraser
-You cannot save more than a single brush group. You can only save one selected group or all of them.
-when creating a copy of a brush, it doesn't save the brush tip settings at all
-when creating a copy of a brush and then click "reset brush settings" it will change to a basic default brush. It should set the copied brushes settings as the Default settings.
-Youo must right-click and click "reset brush settings". That gets annoying and Paintstorm is only app that doesnt have a "reset brush settings" button
HeroicNate

Post by HeroicNate » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:00 am

PSS brush controls are the most intuitive I have used in any program. There are some ux things that could be improved but I wish programs adopted the PSS brush menus, not the other way around.
asdfpaint

Post by asdfpaint » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:29 pm

For the 2nd time, I am not talking about the Brush Settings menu!! I already know how great the PSS brush settings are, I wouldn't be here giving feedback if it wasn't great.

I am talkinb about the Brushes PALETTE menu. The menu where it lists all the brushes, and you pick what brush you want to use. That is called the "Brushes Palette". I'll go into the details again. It's horrible. It needs a complete redo. It has extremely limited capabilities. PSS was meant to create a lot of custom brushes and import from Photoshop, but PSS's brush menu that lays out all the brushes is not capable of layout out and organizing a lot of brushes.
Алекс85

Post by Алекс85 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:19 pm

Complitely disagree. Pss have a realy good brush panel. In ps it' s a pain. As about we realy need this is a usefull brush size regulation with an up button on the pan tablet. U press upp batton and move up pen and brush size is a grow.