Transparent background color?

Fats
Transparent background color?

Post by Fats » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:50 pm

Hello!

I noticed that you can change the background color - but is transparent background color possible? Please let me know if it is.

There are reasons for this:

I saw in an old thread that support said it wouldn't make sense to have it as you can disable "take underlayers color" in Color amount, but what if the underlayers consist of both transparent and non-transparent pixels? That means you can't truly mix those pixels cleanly to the current layer if this setting is off. And if you turn it on, you also mix whatever background color is set to, which overwrites the true transparency of the brush. (The layer you paint on takes up the background color and never retains true transparency which would normally be there if the color mixing was off). This is quite unwanted, because it makes it impossible to work on the "borders" of the image with color-mixing and proper transparency. And it would be very helpful to have a checkerboard texture; it is very difficult to see transparency with a solid background color.

I work with game assets which rely on proper transparency, and I think this is a very important feature to have. I'd dare say it's a must-have.

Please let me know, if, by any chance, what I need is possible in Paintstorm. It is quite an awesome program, but I hope these things will be added soon.

Cheers.
support
Site Admin

Re: Transparent background color?

Post by support » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:17 pm

I understand you. But to realize it we should rewrite the whole engine, there are to many words to describe why... just belive. And the only way you can mix without pickup back - blend with transparency - of course, in this case, you can blend only one layer. :(
DigiArt

Re: Transparent background color?

Post by DigiArt » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:16 pm

Was this updated? I saw that when I save my files as PNG with white background the background is transparent in the saved file. Which is greatly appreciated.