Some requested UI/UX features and changes

Shmiddy
Some requested UI/UX features and changes

Post by Shmiddy » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:47 am

I love the brush engine and how unique and smooth it feels when using the various brushes in this program.

My only compaints are some relatively small things here and there while using the program that are annoying after using other digital art software.

1. The save dialog doesn't ask for a confirmation when trying to save a file with the same name. It can be really easy to accidentally and completely overwrite a file or project if one isn't careful.

2. Not being able to bind Middle Mouse button.

3. Requiring the left mouse button to be clicked and dragged in order to do mouse-based shortcut actions. For example, in CSP I am able to pan the canvas with Middle Mouse button (bound to my stylus) and move the canvas without touching my tablet, whereas here I have to hold down the key and drag across the acutal surface, even if I bound "move canvas" to right mouse button in Paintstorm Studio.

4. Fit to screen always acts as if the UI is visible, even when the UI is hidden. If it could be possible to have it work like how CSP does fit to screen (it centers and fits the canvas panel meaning it gets larger and fuller when the UI is hidden) that would be amazing. I reall like this because I like to turn off the UI when focusing just on drawing and having to manually center and zoom the canvas each time gets annoying.

5. Not being able to drag along the layer visibility eye icons to set the visibility of all the dragged on layers to match that of the change in the first clicked on layer. CSP and SAI do this (I think Photoshop too) and it's pretty convenient. Also being able to alt-click a layer's visibility icon to hide all other layers and show just that one layer is very helpful too.

6. No undo history list. The undo function works, but sometimes I like to go back and forth between 4-5 undos or so to compare changes. This might be against the intent of this program, I'm not sure but I'm just so used to undo history as a list in CSP, Krita, Photoshop, etc.

7. Lack of a reset workspace button. I think that going through the reset selections in the help menu does the trick, but an extra button to reset the current workspace would be nice. I think it would just combine the functions of reset panels, custom panels, colors, etc. into one button.

The last thing is a bug I think, but if I have maximized the window and I draw a stroke that goes to the very bottom of the screen, it acts as if I'm still holding the stylus down and I get crazy and inaccurate lines. I think this is a bug, not a feature though.

Other than that, I'm loving Paintstorm Studio and I look forward to spending more time with it and learning the ins and outs of the program! It really feels amazing just to draw with, and that's the most important thing!