Option To Turn Off Brush Anti-Aliasing

ForestHymn
Option To Turn Off Brush Anti-Aliasing

Post by ForestHymn » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:38 am

Hello Paintstorm Support,

I am extremely happy to have found your program. It has been a replacement for Corel Painter so far, and has been a solution to a problem with lack of anti-aliasing in Painter.

I have a suggestion for your program's brush engine. It is the ability to shut off anti-aliasing for the edges of brush strokes.
That is - for any kind of painting brush. This gives the user more options for edge control. They could choose to have anti-aliasing, or have none with their brush.

As an explanation: in my own work with Paintstorm, I have been able to re-construct a very good imitation of Corel Painter's "Painter 11" Round Oil Pastel. It is an amazing brush that allows for the fast creation of paintings, with very high quality. Very intuitive to use - thanks to Paintstorm and its many brush controls. The problem with it, is that the anti-aliasing of the edges is too fuzzy. It is too soft, therefore, it makes all hard edges look slightly blurry.

I wish to create my own anti-aliasing for the edges. A sharper anti-aliasing. This is done by working on a 15,000 pixel wide canvas, then when finished, reducing the size to 7,500 pixels. This creates very sharp, crisp anti-aliasing for all hard edges. But the only way to achieve this, is to work with aliased edge brushes. That is, with no anti-aliasing in the brush originally.

In short, it would be a great option for the user - to have the choice of using Anti-Aliasing, or using None.

Attached below is the Oil Pastel reconstruction.. it's a great brush.. If anyone wishes to try it!
https://sta.sh/023lte8yhkau