Disable Pressure Tapering

cestarian
Disable Pressure Tapering

Post by cestarian » Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:11 pm

Both the lines in my example were drawn by mouse.

Paintstorm seems to have a feature where if you release the pressure but keep moving the cursor while the program is still catching up to your movements, the pressure will gradually taper down until it dies out.

In most (all?) other painting software what you would get is more similar to the first line (expected result) where, since the mouse only has 1 pressure level, you get 100% pressure from start to finish of the stroke and the program isn't trying to decide for you when to lower it.

The same applies for when entering into a stroke, if your cursor is already moving when the pressure is applied, it tapers (you can see at the start (left side) of the lower stroke while the program is catching up to the physical movement, but again, since this was done with mouse and 100% pressure was applied at alll times, it should look more like the first stroke and not like the second one.

This effect is kinda cool, when you're drawing with a mouse, makes things look more natural, as if you're not actually drawing with a mouse. But when you're drawing with a tablet it's honestly a bit of a nuisance and it would be really nice to be able to disable it (e.g. get the program to follow your pressure absolutely rather than relatively to whatever metric it is using to decide this taper stuff)

Update: Disabling 'catch-up on stroke end' setting in global stabilizer options solves the issue for the end of the stroke but not the start of it. However I feel like the issue at the start of the stroke is less important because it only occurs if the cursor is already fast in motion when pressure is initially applied (which I think can only truly happen if you're using a mouse and not on a tablet, because cursor position is absolute on a tablet).

I would however like to suggest that the default settings for the stabilizer be changed a little, I do think that 'catch-up on stroke end' should be disabled by default because that's closer to the expected behavior when compared to other software...

However, even if there's a disagreement on that, I also think that the acceleration option in the stabilizer should default to 3 instead of 2.

The brush feels a lot more responsive when that setting is set to 3 than when it's set to it's default of 2, and I think that might be an important factor to make a good first impression on artists who are trying out the program for the first time.
Last edited by cestarian on Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
simon_dominic

Re: Disable Pressure Tapering

Post by simon_dominic » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:44 am

I don't have that result. With the pen, if Size isn't set-up with pen pressure I always get the first result. It's only when Size is dependant on pen pressure I get the second.

I tried the mouse and the same is true. Size doesn't decrease after button release unless it's set up to do so, even if the motion is fast.

That's on Windows, Wacom Pro.
ArmorWraith

Post by ArmorWraith » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:09 pm

Check your stabilizer settings in PSS as well. You may have something enabled you didn't anticipate.
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (50.02KiB)Viewed 17748 times
cestarian

Post by cestarian » Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:05 am

ArmorWraith wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:09 pm
Check your stabilizer settings in PSS as well. You may have something enabled you didn't anticipate.
Disabling the default 'catch up on stroke-end' setting solves the issue for the end of a stroke, but it remains at the start of the stroke (although reduced). Disabling 'stroke catch-up', 'adjust for zoom' or 'adjust on stroke speed' does not seem to fix that either.

Enabling 'hard in' and 'hard out' also doesn't seem to affect the issue. I tried the exact configuration you suggested in your attachment but the result is still the same in the end.

However, the different pressure when starting a stroke is less serious of an issue in my opinion. It's because this only happens if the cursor is already in motion before the stroke starts which usually can't happen on a tablet because the tablet cursor position is absolute and not relative like on a mouse.
ArmorWraith

Post by ArmorWraith » Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:17 am

Yeah, to be honest I am also new to the stabilization settings. I have been trying to get the program to "feel" similar to photoshop pen wise, but just can't seem to configure it right.

I actually posted just a screenshot of my settings, I didn't mean for you to copy them, but I hope it at least was interesting. Its a newer feature so can be fun to tinker with.

all the best,

Solus