linux : using wine rather than linux version

gzorcc
linux : using wine rather than linux version

Post by gzorcc » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:19 pm

Hello,

Having a lot of problems with the current Linux version of Paintstorm, I tried the windows version under wine and I have yet to find something not working.

It might be worth suggesting using wine more broadly if my observations can be generalized. As far as I am concerned, I didn't expect these results, since tablet support under wine is often tricky. Also, since there is a Linux version, my first reaction was not trying the windows version with wine.

What do you think ?
Blendie

Re: linux : using wine rather than linux version

Post by Blendie » Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:52 pm

Thanks for this post, as, along with this post then seeing another re using v2.10 may be best for xp-pen, I've found pressure works on DECO 01 via running PSS via wine. All working perfectly, as you say. Some very interesting multi-coloured tints on imported PSDs from Krita, but maybe there are some PSS graphics settings I need to tweak.
I'm stunned tbh, as, with not using Wacom devices, it's the first time I've been able to use PSS on Linux since May 2017! :D
AMD, SparkyOS/Mate, XP-Pen Deco v2
ryanwc

Post by ryanwc » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:40 am

I've found two issues with using PSS with Wine. The first issue is that the autosave will cause a crash, so I have to disable it. The second issue is that importing brushes will also cause a crash. The first issue isn't a big deal, but the second issue is. I rely too heavily on creating and modifying brushes for me to use the Wine version. And since the Linux version doesn't work well with a Cintiq (misaligned cursor), I can't use it either.

I'm using Kubuntu 20.04, and also have the same issues in Ubuntu 18.04, and 20.04.
Blendie

Post by Blendie » Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:23 pm

A few days ago I installed v2.47 on debian/SparkyOS (locked at wine 6.2 staging, via ubuntu/ focal main, as had needed to use that on Mint; no recent wine, as find the older 6.2 works great for games have as well as art programs) ... the issues you describe don't exist in that, nor in the v2.48 update I installed a day after. Very stable updates, with only one glitch in not able to see a few of the menu Options sections unless Esc out and click on Options again, and rare crash when dealing with importing a brush pack, but when re-open PSS it runs a 'converting brushes' command and everything's fine. Auto-update is on, and again no issues. Using xp-pen deco v2, and didn't even need to set up anything for it to work, + easy to set the picker to right-click in the hotkey settings.
Hope any of this info is helpful and that you're finding PSS runs fine on your system now.
AMD, SparkyOS/Mate, XP-Pen Deco v2