Bug: Eyedropper stuck on dragging with alt on any menu

eyald
Bug: Eyedropper stuck on dragging with alt on any menu

Post by eyald » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:31 am

Hey, I was trying to insert a layer into a folder and while not sure how to do it, tried dragging it with alt. This resulted on the cursor being locked on he eyedropper tool, being unable to select anything, close the program, save etc. Trying to replicate it I found that dragging with alt pressed on other menus as well cause this issue, for example the brushes window. The only solution was to close it from the windows taskbar.

This is a big problem, and can cause a big loss of work.

I'm on Windows 7 x64.

Thanks!
support
Site Admin

Re: Bug: Eyedropper stuck on dragging with alt on any menu

Post by support » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:14 am

Don't need to use ALT.

To swap layer, 1)click on it to select 2)click+hold about a 1 second until it flashes 3)drag layer to the desired location
Other way - use arrows buttons at the layer panel
eyald

Post by eyald » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:14 am

Thanks for the reply. Yes I know, but while working it's possible to accidentally press alt, then the program would get stuck. Would be good to have a functionality on alt (instead of crashing). In Photoshop for example, using alt and dragging the layer duplicates it, so it would be cool to have that feature too.

Also I really believe that having to press to select the layer first is inefficient, would be better to click+drag, as in all other programs.

Thank you! The program is great and shows a lot of promise :)
neowolf

Post by neowolf » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:14 pm

I can confirm this issue and is deal breaking for me, I hold alt a LOT to color picking, should not freeze the program.

If hold ALT and click to select a color on Swatches, then I Keep holding Alt and drag to the canvas, it will freeze as well.

I'm switching to SAI 2 that don't have swatches but at least I don't lose hours of work by accident. =/

p.s It was working fine before update 1.53 or 1.54, I don't remember now
Brace yourselfs, Paintstorm is coming !
http://neowolf.deviantart.com/
support
Site Admin

Post by support » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:47 am

If paintstorm freezes you can close it in task bar and Paintstorm asking to save your current work before closing.
Painterly

Post by Painterly » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:10 am

Windows 7 x64 here. I'm also having the same issue. I haven't done any serious work in the program yet, so nothing important as been lost. But to close the program I have to CTRL+ALT+DEL, bring up task manager, and forcefully kill the program. The autosave usually manages to rescue my work, but I really don't want to be waiting for the program to bug out.

Another issue - not sure if it's related, but similar - is that sometimes the cursor will go behind every menu and still try to paint on the canvas. I can't click on a menu or pallet window at all.

idea:
When I hold the ALT key, it seems to click right through whatever pallet I'm over and select a color on the canvas. So, maybe what's happening is that the program gets stuck in this "no pallet - only canvas" mode, even if you release the alt key. I feel like this feature (if it is a feature) needs to be changed. The pallets shouldn't be click-through from holding a very commonly used key, that's asking for trouble :? Instead, what about doing what ArtRage does? When painting on the canvas, when the user still has the stylus pressed down and drags over a pallet, that pallet disappears until the stylus is released or the user moves off of the pallet's area. And the eyedropper tool (by holding alt) could cease it's function and turn into a regular cursor when it's over a pallet and resume when it's over the canvas again.
support
Site Admin

Post by support » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:50 am

Painterly wrote: Another issue - not sure if it's related, but similar - is that sometimes the cursor will go behind every menu and still try to paint on the canvas. I can't click on a menu or pallet window at all.
Seems that you have tablet coordinate discrepancy, and the menu cursor does not equal to canvas cursor, try to change tablet modes and "coordinate with mouse" in menu-file-tablet settings.
Painterly

Post by Painterly » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:02 am

Seems to work with that option enabled, thanks. I do have my tablet's usable area set up kind of oddly, cropped off the top portion in wacom's settings. I didn't even think about that, but good to know that's what it was :mrgreen:
Painterly

Post by Painterly » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:56 pm

Sorry, but the issue still persists. I just replicated it by holding ALT and dragging back and forth on an empty area of the layer pallet and also over a layer in the layer pallet. I just ALT-Tabbed back into paintstorm and the cursor is a circle again (for the brush tool) but now the cursor goes behind all pallets and menus. So it's impossible to click anything or exit the program. I don't know what's up with this ALT key or eye dropper, but it really should cease functioning when the cursor is over a pallet and turn into a regular cursor. Also, I just switched to the lasso tool with a hotkey and the tool goes behind all the pallet windows. Switching to the brush tool, the tool doesn't paint. With the marquee tool it doesn't make a selection.
neowolf

Post by neowolf » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:22 am

Painterly wrote:Sorry, but the issue still persists. I just replicated it by holding ALT and dragging back and forth on an empty area of the layer pallet and also over a layer in the layer pallet. I just ALT-Tabbed back into paintstorm and the cursor is a circle again (for the brush tool) but now the cursor goes behind all pallets and menus. So it's impossible to click anything or exit the program. I don't know what's up with this ALT key or eye dropper, but it really should cease functioning when the cursor is over a pallet and turn into a regular cursor. Also, I just switched to the lasso tool with a hotkey and the tool goes behind all the pallet windows. Switching to the brush tool, the tool doesn't paint. With the marquee tool it doesn't make a selection.
That! You describe precisely what is happening to me !
win7 64 Im using
Brace yourselfs, Paintstorm is coming !
http://neowolf.deviantart.com/