Memory Close-outs/Crashes

Joel Stewart
Memory Close-outs/Crashes

Post by Joel Stewart » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:33 pm

Paintstorm v1.6 is crashing/closing-out on my iPad Pro 12.9" every time I go over 9 or 10 layers on a document sized 5552 x 3307. It crashes on 90% of saves and autosaves at this file size. The scariest part is that several times it has not only lost the latest changes, but completely killed the document losing all data and returning it to the default image size.

I have tried killing all other apps, and even limiting my browser windows in Safari (even while it isn't running). And I've tried re-installing the app. I've tried removing all my custom brushes (I have a lot and wondered if somehow they could cause the crashes -the app still crashes without them).
Joel Stewart

Re: Memory Close-outs/Crashes

Post by Joel Stewart » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:59 pm

I am currently working on all the images that I have to do at this size at 250dpi instead of 300dpi, and then I'll resize, and perhaps clean up the flattened file. This is not ideal for my published work, but I'm getting no crashes so far at this size. But, do I really need to do this?Others have told me that they can run files larger than mine with more layers and have no problems on their iPad Pro 12.9"s.

I'd really like to work out what the problem is. I've had no response to this thread, or to my email enquiry, or my query on another thread.
Joel Stewart

Post by Joel Stewart » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:51 am

Working at 250 dpi I'm having no crashes so far. What is extra weird is that I can add enough layers so that the file is bigger than the 300dpi ones that were crashing constantly -almost as though it was linked to that specific pixel count. Maybe I should try a document that is larger (what a waste of my time).
ErrkaPetti

Post by ErrkaPetti » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:46 pm

Joel Stewart wrote:Working at 250 dpi I'm having no crashes so far. What is extra weird is that I can add enough layers so that the file is bigger than the 300dpi ones that were crashing constantly -almost as though it was linked to that specific pixel count. Maybe I should try a document that is larger (what a waste of my time).
We are all kind of Beta testers...

I have alot of music making apps (synth etc.) and that's the same there, we together create good software for the iOS community...

It really hard for some developer to have the right beta testers before releases...
support
Site Admin

Post by support » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:20 pm

Have you enabled autosaves? is it crashes at autosaves? Did you save it to icloud or in itunes?
menjah

Post by menjah » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:30 am

Just want to bump this because I'm also getting the issue. My document size is 3840 by 2160, 1080p*2. Getting constant crashes when it autosaves, and it will also crash when I save normally. If it crashes while it's saving, you're greeted by an empty document upon re-open! Fun stuff...

Ipad pro, 32gig, newest version of ios AFAIK.
RicoH

Post by RicoH » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:18 am

The new version seems even more unstable on iPad now I'm afraid. Getting constant crashes on auto save and save.
iPad Pro 9.7
Saving locally or Dropbox.

Such a pity. Completely unusable now
Really sorry for the negativity
support
Site Admin

Post by support » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:06 am

but nothing global was changed, maybe try to delete and reinstall paintstorm app
RicoH

Post by RicoH » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:18 am

perhaps it just feels like its crashing more because I was hoping for the instability to be adressed in the update.

Deleting the app and reinstalling was one of the first thing I tried. no difference there im afraid.

i do hate that im being negative here -id love to help out in any way to troubleshoot/bugsolve. Paintstorm is outstanding apart from the crashes. i havent successfully saved a single image since the last update however.
Joel Stewart

Post by Joel Stewart » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:59 am

Bumping this. I stopped receiving notifications from the forum so I didn't answer the questions from support. But I was getting these crashes on auto save and on saving to iTunes (I wouldn't save to the cloud at this kind of size because it would take forever.) For the last month or so I haven't had any more really serious crashes. BUT I don't know if iOS updates or other updates helped this or if it is just that I didn't have to work on quite such large files for a while. I will have to use some large files again so I will report back.

I'm quite nervous (In the middle of a project pitch) to download the latest update, since the one before last broke my brushes and I had to wait over a month for a fix, but it does seem to be fine on my desktop version so perhaps I should go ahead.