Issue with brush dissolve blend mode

ega
Issue with brush dissolve blend mode

Post by ega » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:12 pm

Hi there,

The brush DISSOLVE blend mode is not working for any brush. I tried many brushes and no answer at all.

Maybe I am doing something wrong. I also uninstall and reinstall the app and the same answer.

I am attaching an image showing the issue.

Please advice on this issue.

Regards,

ega
Last edited by ega on Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blendie

Re: Issue with brush dissolve blend mode

Post by Blendie » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:37 pm

Hi, had a fiddle with settings. Feature down to nearly zero I think is making the effect very strong and noticeable. Thanks for drawing my attention to it, as well; can get some really nice effects with it. :-)

AMD, SparkyOS/Mate, XP-Pen Deco v2
ega

Post by ega » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:15 pm

Thanks. But as you can see in the image the Feature option is not selected. Anyway selecting the Feature option would give a really nice effect, like controlled noise, if the Dissolve blend mode worked. But actually It's not. This issue is for iPad PRO version.
Blendie

Post by Blendie » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:43 pm

Oh, okay; hadn't noticed the little buttons on your screenshot. Definitely working, giving that nice controlled noise effect, on the desktop version and ipad pro 12.9. Lower opacity (60 or under) certainly makes a difference. Sorry, I'm not sure what's up, but am sure Support will understand better what you mean.

ega

Post by ega » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:52 am

Thank you. I don't understand either. Let's see what Support says about this.

Let me ask you, to accomplish this effect the layer are you working on has a normal blending mode ? What I mean is I can achieve the dissolve blending mode adding another layer and changing the blending mode of this layer to Dissolve Blend.

The Point here is to achieve a dissolve blending mode setting this option just for the brush and working on a layer with NORMAL blending mode. I hope you can follow what I mean.

The image I am attaching shows that if add a new layer and change the blending mode of the new layer to Dissolve Mode then the effect is achieved. But if a layer is set to normal blend and the brush blending mode is set to Dissolve then there is no Dissolve effect working on the normal blend layer.
Blendie

Post by Blendie » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:58 am

No problem, and, if you knew how un-technical I am, lol ... my mind boggles at more than one layer as soon as blending modes are on the table too. Especially when learning something, and something with so many amazing modes, intuition's my friend a lot, plus I've just started working with Tim's course, which is great ... haven't reached anything about blend modes yet, so I'd just gone in, with one layer, simple soft on dissolve, and it worked. I was surprised myself, lol. The first stroke or two it doesn't seem as if it's happening, but then it just starts blending and speckling loads. I've added another pic showing the same settings as above, but so you can see my layers panel.

ega

Post by ega » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:32 am

Thanks for your reply. Perhaps I am doing something wrong. I tested all the brush blend modes and all of them are working well as expected. The issue is just for the Dissolve mode. No problem. Let's see what the Support advices.
Blendie

Post by Blendie » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:13 pm

ega wrote:Thanks for your reply. Perhaps I am doing something wrong. I tested all the brush blend modes and all of them are working well as expected. The issue is just for the Dissolve mode. No problem. Let's see what the Support advices.
You're very welcome, and I look forward to seeing how the issue resolves. :)
ega

Post by ega » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:39 am

I think I found an answer to the situation I called "an issue with brush dissolve blend mode".

The attached image shows that the Dissolve Blend Mode for brushes works correctly when the blending mode is applied on colored pixels. The image shows that when the pixels are not empty (green color) the Brush Dissolve Mode works as expected (black stroke). When the pixels are empty (no color), in this case no green color, the Dissolve mode doesn't work. For me this is enough explanation and believe this is a reasonable behavior taking into account that the math of the blending modes requires a background.

Thanks BLENDIE for listening to this inquire.
Blendie

Post by Blendie » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:42 am

Brilliant, ega! And you're very welcome. I'd just sploshed about, lol, so your description perfectly explains what happened. Amazing how much can be done with PSS. Glad it's sorted out for you. :)