Stylus will not select certain things...have to use finger

michaelws
Stylus will not select certain things...have to use finger

Post by michaelws » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:52 am

I am working in version 2 on a Windows 10 Surface Pro 4 tablet. I have noticed that the pen/stylus will not select certain things and I have to use my finger. And because the buttons are sometimes too tiny for my finger to be accurate it can be frustrating.

For example the pen will not select a brush category from the icons across the top of the panel but the pen can select a brush within a category. The pen will not select a color from the color swatches. I therefore have to use my finger. And again, it is too big to accurately select the exact color swatch I want. When I press the pen on a brush category icon it turns the icon a lighter gray but does not select it. When using my finger the icon changes color and can be selected.

The same thing happens in the color swatches. The pen will change the color of the swatch as I push the pen onto the swatch but that color does not get selected. When I use my finger or a mouse I can select the color.

The pen works on the main color square and hue ring. Most other buttons and icons the pen will select with no problem.

Not sure where else this might happen but I thought I should let you know. Hope this can be solved.
support
Site Admin

Re: Stylus will not select certain things...have to use finger

Post by support » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:48 am

As I understand your UI is just too small? Try to increase UI scale at MENU-File-Options-"Global scale" parameter.
michaelws

Post by michaelws » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:30 am

Sorry that I did not include that in my first post. I increased the global scale to the maximum amount. The problem is not that the icons are too small for the pen tip to select. The problem is that the pen tip will not "select" the icon in those few areas. It will not select the brush categories nor will it select color swatches. It will select everything else. When I have to use my finger then the icons and the swatches are too small...even when I increase the global scale the color swatches are too small for me to accurately select. But when the pen works then I can select the items even when the scale is not so big.

I have tried all six of the workspaces. The same problem with each of them. I do not have this problem when I use my Wacom tablet and Wacom stylus. Only when I am working on my Surface Pro 4 with it's N-Trig type pen.

I have a program called Tablet Pro that lets me create touch menus so that I don't have to have a keyboard to use hotkeys. I have created a button that serves as a left-click button so that now solves the problem for me and I can use your wonderful program. All I have to do is hover the pen tip over the icon and then press the tablet pro left click button I created and that works.

I just wanted to let you know that there is a problem when using the Surface Pro 4 and it's pen and it only exists in those two areas. The Brush Icon category icons and the color swatches. Every where else the pen seems to work fine.
jshannon

Post by jshannon » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:28 am

I have the same/similar issue with the surface pen. It's very specific. I can't select the brush category in the brush palette with the pen-- only my finger. It usually freezes the whole program when I do this. But, I can choose the individual pens in the category with the pen without trouble.

Even on a different non-Surface PC that pen has the same problem. It has always worked on the other 5 or 6 drawing programs I've used.
enoch

Post by enoch » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:58 am

support wrote:As I understand your UI is just too small? Try to increase UI scale at MENU-File-Options-"Global scale" parameter.
hi I am really impressed with your software, but I ran into a few problems when testing it out on my surface pro 3, I can't select tools or anything in the color palette and generally anything in the workspace area, also when I press the side button on the surface 4 pen and tap the screen the program freezes up. I would definitely have purchased this software but it doesn't seem fully compatible with the pro 3's wintab system.
support
Site Admin

Post by support » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:47 am

Better disable touch functions for surface pro at the moment... We must deal with surface pro...
michaelws

Post by michaelws » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:00 pm

Better than disabling touch...get Tablet Pro. It allowed me to create a custom set of buttons on the right side of my tablet (I am left-handed) and I can do all sorts of things quicker now than without it. I can change the size of my brush tip on the fly. I created a "left-click" button that will let me just hover my pen tip over the Tools or the Color Swatches and select. So I would rather keep touch on...and use this menu of buttons I created with this nifty piece of software. It fixed this problem for me here and I have made many menus for other pieces of software I use, like Photoshop and Corel painter and ArtRage.

I love Paintstorm now that I have overcome this selection glitch.
JoseConseco

Post by JoseConseco » Mon May 01, 2017 8:02 am

I had similar problem - with being unable to select some stuff (eg brush category) with my pen. Only finger worked. But I set File->Tablet -> Coordinate mouse mode -to True, and now I can select brush category with pen. I use Dell Inspiron 15 7568 2in1 with wacom bammboo smart pen.
Michaelws - does TabletPro work when your stylus is near the tablet surface? Because, from my experience, windows pen rejection thing blocks touch input when you hover pen over tablet surface, and this makes in impossible to do stuff like eg. hold shift and drag your pen to resize brush. Or hold ctrl and pick color with pen.
I wish there was way to make palm rejection work only to the right of stylus, so that I could use my left hand for pressing touch buttons...
michaelws

Post by michaelws » Mon May 01, 2017 8:06 pm

Hi Conseco,

I will try what you showed. Yes, with tablet pro I can hover the tip over the area and then use my finger to press my "left-click" button. I also have created a button that I can press that allows me to drag the cursor to change the size on the fly. So, with Tablet Pro hover is not a problem.

I created another menu that had lots more buttons but lost it somehow. I am left-handed so I have this small menu on the right that covers most of what I need.
Attachments
TabletProsetup.jpg
TabletProsetup.jpg (657.65KiB)Viewed 4258 times
JoseConseco

Post by JoseConseco » Mon May 01, 2017 8:50 pm

I tried Tablet Pro today, and even though there was option for simultaneous use of touch and pen it didin't work for me. Maybe because I use wacom Bambo Smart pen with wacom feel driver.... So I will stay with GestureSign and Toolbar Creator combo.