Available Memory on iPad Pro

StardustWriter88
Available Memory on iPad Pro

Post by StardustWriter88 » Mon May 08, 2017 12:23 am

When I open Paintstorm Studio on my iPad, I receive a notification at the top of my screen that says "Available Memory MB" in red, with a certain number of megabytes listed. This happens even when I first open the program, and I'm not sure what I'm really doing for so little memory to be consumed. I'm also confused as to whether this is memory within the app or within my own processor. It also prevents me from having multiple projects open at once, which I like to do. I'd like to get rid of the notification, however, as it overlays some of my other menu items along the top of my viewing panel and it's irritating.
support
Site Admin

Re: Available Memory on iPad Pro

Post by support » Tue May 09, 2017 3:58 pm

What is your ipad model?
How much free memory it have?
StardustWriter88

Post by StardustWriter88 » Tue May 09, 2017 10:32 pm

It's an iPad Pro 9.7" Model #MLM2LL/A with 125GB capacity and 114.62GB available.
cloud-yo

Post by cloud-yo » Fri May 12, 2017 2:26 am

Hi, Im having this same issue. I make sure there are no other programs running, and as soon as I open the app I have about 120mbs free then it just automatically changes to around 70mbs after a few pencil strokes and then goes down to around 20-30mbs and then I get a warning every time I click on a menu.
Same model Ipad Pro.
Thanks.
support
Site Admin

Post by support » Fri May 12, 2017 10:32 am

cloud-yo wrote:Hi, Im having this same issue. I make sure there are no other programs running, and as soon as I open the app I have about 120mbs free then it just automatically changes to around 70mbs after a few pencil strokes and then goes down to around 20-30mbs and then I get a warning every time I click on a menu.
Same model Ipad Pro.
Thanks.
Maybe you created a large document? or it's default size? Do you speak about iPad pro?
Also, does the Paintstorm crashes at saving (or some other)?
StardustWriter88

Post by StardustWriter88 » Fri May 12, 2017 11:02 am

I've had Paintstorm crash on me a few times, but not while saving. Just while switching brushes or something. But the way cloud-yo described the problem is precisely what's going on in my situation. It doesn't seem to affect the functioning of the app for the most part, but I'm afraid to attempt any complicated paintings for fear of the program not allowing me to continue or save. Again, Paintstorm is the only app I'm running, with all background programs closed.
cloud-yo

Post by cloud-yo » Fri May 12, 2017 1:05 pm

Thanks for your reply!

The document size doesnt seem to make much difference larger and smaller documents have the same issue. What is your recommended working size? I would like to be able to work at 300dpi.

Yes I am referring to an ipad pro 9.7 128gb.

So far I havent had the app crash at save, but I did get a UI hiccup when I clicked on the file's name, up at the top (usually under the memory warning) by mistake with my stylus. It happened twice that all the top menu items (file, edit etc..) became little black squares. I exited the app and re-opened it and it went back to normal.

So far I am enjoying your app a LOT. I feel its the best painting app for Ipad..by a long shot. The UI customization is amazing with all the possible hotkeys, and the advanced gestures are an amazing time saver. Really love it so thank you!
support
Site Admin

Post by support » Sat May 13, 2017 10:01 am

it's all strange - like the same device but different memory...

what about document size - I don't recommend to create more than 5000x5000px for ipad pro 12 and 4000x4000px for ipad pro 9
cloud-yo

Post by cloud-yo » Sat May 13, 2017 2:03 pm

Thanks again, Ill try 4000x4000 at 300dpi and report back.
cloud-yo

Post by cloud-yo » Sun May 14, 2017 5:23 pm

Hello Again.

I opened PSS and resized the default canvas to 4000x4000 300dpi. Immediately the memory warning dropped to 27mbs. I then added an empty new layer (the original layer was empty as well) memory dropped to 18mbs. and then after a few minutes it went up to around 57mbs.
I began to sketch and the memory fluctuated around 30something mbs. Then..without a real reason, it went up to 160mbs. After an auto save the memory dropped again to around 30mbs. So far I had sketched using a pencil tool on the second layer (bottom one was still empty). As I kept working I added 3 more layers: an Ink layer, then a value painted layer, and a color mode layer. The available memory remained steadily around 67mbs. For no reason, it then shot back up to 160mbs for a while and then fell back to 57mbs.
I have no idea what is causing this. but it does affect performance. Sometimes strokes will not be recognized (im using an apple pencil) And A LOT of times the tool will automatically switch to the move tool even tho my entire UI is hidden. I have only 2 widgets enabled in the background (battery and calendar) and I make sure to clear out my past open applications.
History states is set to 30
history memory I have the max set to 50
maximum brushes untouched at 500
I disabled trilinear interpolation (not sure what it really does so I dont know if its better on or off)

I would like to know if Im doing something wrong, or if this is normal behaviour.
Thank you for all your awesome support! :)