laggy scenes PLUS laggy brushes ?!

ziggie
laggy scenes PLUS laggy brushes ?!

Post by ziggie » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:12 pm

Hi !

so, my most freq. used image res for me is : 4096x3072_72DPI and at this relatively LOW res everything seems to be '' dragging '' snailstyle for me..Is this what you guys meant when you said '' larger canvases '' ?

you see, back in the day when I used PShop with larger res's i'd bump my res up to 10000x4600 pxl on 300DPI and my machine would just chew this up ( mind you WITHOUT even using GPU, plain old CPU sweating )

so, what I wanted to ask here is simply put : when will I be able to use LARGE size canvases in PStorm ? i mean, really LARGE size, not this what we currently have ? are guys working on it at all ?

one more thing regarding brushes is, i've '' kinda '' successfully created entire brush category which I call SKETCH category, and it it I have basic plain brushes that I freq. use for that same purpose. However, these basic brushes are giving my machine a headache when it comes to performance on before mentioned image resolutions, in a sense that strokes drag like they're about to totally '' choke '' my machine to a halt. I don't get it really, maybe its only me but it seems to me that all the '' fancy '' brush settings and options available for use are only USABLE if you stick to LOW res projects, you know ?! dunno..maybe I didn't built them correctly..but, i mean..frankly, its not a rocket science and they are all just basic sketch brushes...
soul-crushed :(

anyway, thank you for reply, I could def use some pep talk here regarding this resolution issues in PStorm we are currently suffering.
Al best team, keep up the awesome work !
N.

p.s. brushes will be soon available in BRUSH section, free of charge.
Peace
dodeqaa

Re: laggy scenes PLUS laggy brushes ?!

Post by dodeqaa » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:16 am

Hello Ziggie,

4096 x 3072 is not low resolution at all, even if you put it at 72 dpi.

DPI setting is only relevant in print. So for instance if you open photoshop and create an A4 document at 300 DPI(standard resolution for print quality), the document size in pixels will be 2480 x 3508. 300 DPI means there will be 300 dots of colour per inch of paper.

With document dimensions in pixels, the DPI setting would define the real world measurements that you want to print at. e.g. 10,000 pixels would print larger at 72 dots per inch than at 300 dots per inch, because if each inch uses less dots (hence lower resolution) then there would be more resolution to go around and you could get more inches. As for the conversion of pixels to dots, I'm not familiar with that and you will have to research further.

To put things in digital context, Ultra HD 4k TVs have a resolution of 3840 x 2160, and those are typically 30" (diagonal measurement) and up. Digital Cinema defines 4k as 4096 x 2160, but your average cinema screen is way larger. But in the cinema we are mostly seated much farther away from the screen.

Additional reading here :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4K_resolution
https://designinside.com/size-4k-ultra- ... ight-room/

As for brushes, I can't say for sure about how your brushes are set up but if you want to reduce lag, you should check that your brush form ( the custom image of the brush) isn't too large (below 300px) if you want to make strokes with it (as opposed to stamping the image on).
Also, check your spacing settings, whether you do it with fixation on or off, lower spacing will always be more performance heavy than higher settings. This is true also for photoshop brushes.

Related topic :
http://www.paintstormstudio.com/forum/v ... php?t=2824

Hope you will find a usable setup soon
Regards,
ziggie

Post by ziggie » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:06 pm

dodeqaa wrote:Hello Ziggie,

4096 x 3072 is not low resolution at all, even if you put it at 72 dpi.

DPI setting is only relevant in print. So for instance if you open photoshop and create an A4 document at 300 DPI(standard resolution for print quality), the document size in pixels will be 2480 x 3508. 300 DPI means there will be 300 dots of colour per inch of paper.

With document dimensions in pixels, the DPI setting would define the real world measurements that you want to print at. e.g. 10,000 pixels would print larger at 72 dots per inch than at 300 dots per inch, because if each inch uses less dots (hence lower resolution) then there would be more resolution to go around and you could get more inches. As for the conversion of pixels to dots, I'm not familiar with that and you will have to research further.

To put things in digital context, Ultra HD 4k TVs have a resolution of 3840 x 2160, and those are typically 30" (diagonal measurement) and up. Digital Cinema defines 4k as 4096 x 2160, but your average cinema screen is way larger. But in the cinema we are mostly seated much farther away from the screen.

Additional reading here :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4K_resolution
https://designinside.com/size-4k-ultra- ... ight-room/

As for brushes, I can't say for sure about how your brushes are set up but if you want to reduce lag, you should check that your brush form ( the custom image of the brush) isn't too large (below 300px) if you want to make strokes with it (as opposed to stamping the image on).
Also, check your spacing settings, whether you do it with fixation on or off, lower spacing will always be more performance heavy than higher settings. This is true also for photoshop brushes.

Related topic :
http://www.paintstormstudio.com/forum/v ... php?t=2824

Hope you will find a usable setup soon
Regards,
Hello dodeqaa

well, I can't agree more on everything you said here, it's straightforward and by the book, however, I'm mostly concerned about the print values and quality since most of my work is illustration and it's bound to be printed at one point, i'm not bothered by the size of the print rather quality of it.
I guess i'm mostly impatient because I really think PStorm is better then photoshop and I used document size reference from photoshop only to illustrate what I generally require in my work as a default. Guess I'll have to stick to PS for the time being, which sucks

as for brushes, nah man, i created basic brushes, no textures no nothing, plain shapes from PStorm's gallery ( I kinda think they are all regular when it comes to their pixel sizes. I'll work some more on the set, maybe I find some solutions to it in the future.
Thank you for you reply, much appreciated !
Best of luck to you !
N.
dodeqaa

Post by dodeqaa » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:13 am

Hey ziggie,

Yea I greatly prefer Paintstorm's brush system.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of illustrations are you doing that require such high resolutions?

Thanks for the luck! Same to you!
support
Site Admin

Post by support » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:59 am

Very large canvases will be works good only if you have a video card with 4+ Gigs of a video memory. For example, my Geforce GTX 660 is the only 2gb and laggy at the clean 12000x12000 px canvas.
dodeqaa

Post by dodeqaa » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:50 pm

Would it be possible to have an alternate CPU mode for the bristle brushes, like in PShop? The bristle brushes don't use the GPU right?

I'm just guessing here as a layman, I know very little about how it works.
support
Site Admin

Post by support » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:54 am

dodeqaa wrote:The bristle brushes don't use the GPU right? .
You can enable GPU, but it will be worked by the different way. The result will be different, but it can be useful for some situations. For example, if you want to draw with some very large rounded bristle brush (600+ px) and you have a powerful graphic card - the GPU on the bristle brush will work much faster with a nice result.