gpu icon problem

Vtrix
gpu icon problem

Post by Vtrix » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:43 pm

every launch i have to press the gpu icon in the top right, only this makes the brushes perform well, even if gpu is on in settings..

can this be set as a default, because in my custom UI i dont want this top bar + well it should be the default anyway
support
Site Admin

Re: gpu icon problem

Post by support » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:11 am

Do you mean that this button is a pale gray-crosshair at the program start? Or it's a pale gray-GPU? And after you click - it turned to the white-GPU?
Vtrix

Post by Vtrix » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:46 pm

its a white pale gpu icon, and i need to press it, then it turns into a grayed out X-crosshair, (which i think enables the gpu)

its always defaults to the white gpu icon on startup , > which i need to click to get good performance

> i think it should save the setting
> it should not be something you have to press in the interface (if you remove the top bar> you cant get it back> only by setting interface to default)
> in options (openGl) the gpu acceleration is already on, so what is the function of the button ?
SONB

Post by SONB » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:12 pm

In the settings there is an option "Auto disable GPU for small brushes" and it is activated by default.

I guess you're using a small brush and GPU is automatically deactivated (white pale GPU icon). Make the brush big enough until the icon changes to white. That's when the GPU kicks in. If you click the icon it becomes an X and the GPU is deactivated, no matter how big your brush is.

You can deactivate the option in the settings and the GPU will always be on.

I hope it helps.
Vtrix

Post by Vtrix » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:40 pm

thanx for the suggestion SONB, the auto disable setting is off

but i now know what the issue was, but it was a very edge case, i recently changed over to a dual screen, and i was using onboard and my gtx750 because of a cable issue, but then i found out that my primary was set to onboard intel, opencl doesn't automatically chooses the best card 8-)

with this setting, clicking on the icon, made the brushes faster (disable gpu) ( because it switched over to my processor)

now i sorted this out, i dont need to press the icon and actually use the gpu, the brushes are lightning fast! fastest i seen in any program

so basicly this was a non issue

> i still find the icon not 100 % clear, i guess with some hover text, you could indicate the meaning of current status
> why is it there ? its in settings