Tablet pen position not detected properly

hexmax
Tablet pen position not detected properly

Post by hexmax » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:00 pm

Some time ago I had some time to test Paintstorm a bit and I considered purchasing it.
Recently I then downloaded the most recent version and now it seems like there are
serious problems with detecting the right pen coordinates on the tablet, which renders
Paintstorm completely unuseable for me.

Unfortunately my trial period has also expired now, so I'm not able to test further things.

However, here are my observations on my system:

I tried PS on a USB Penabled tablet (Lenovo LT1423p) and it is only working properly when
I use the tablet as the main and only display. This is a problem since I need the second
screen too. In addition, the tablet is a bit limited in terms of pressure levels supported.
So I use it in rare cases only in the meanwhile.

I also tried PS on my Cintiq 21 UX and there the problems get really weird. When using the
tablet as the primary display things seem to work (was not able to fully test it since
my trial has expired). But when used as the secondary display, it seems like the
coordinates of the pen get messed up. When moving the pen inside the PS window the
cursor is not visible at all and I can't paint or click anything. Funnily when I move
PS to the primary display, enable the extended mode on the Cintiq (cursor is then
movable over the range of both displays by moving the pen on the Cintiq), then I can
manage to move draw something in PS (but it's obviously not usable that way for me).
To me it seems like when using PS on the secondary display the program misinterprets
the coordinates it gets by the Wacom driver and believes that the pen is on the primary
display.

I can also rule out driver issues since in Krita as well as in Clipstudio Paint at least
the Cintiq works perfectly. The Lenovo tablet is a bit unstable there too. I just
wanted to mention my test with the Lenovo tablet to point out that there is a scenario
where I can use PS.
support
Site Admin

Re: Tablet pen position not detected properly

Post by support » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:14 am

Hello. To solve this issue try to enable: MENU-File-Tablet settings-coordinate mouse mode
Write to info@paintstormstudio.com, I'll give you temporally account to test Paintstorm.
hexmax

Post by hexmax » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:34 am

Hi,

despite the problems I had I nevertheless already purchased PSS. So no need for a temporary account, but thanks for the offer :)

And what should I say: with the registered copy the problem seems to have gone for whatever reason. I nevertheless
switched to coordinate mouse mode. Hopefully that will resolve the issue forever and I can focus on painting now :)
support
Site Admin

Post by support » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:36 am

It's also can be connected with the Wacom drivers. I'm loading wacom settings by their tool every PC reboot, because it's missing the coordinates
HeroicNate

Post by HeroicNate » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:50 am

I sent this in an email but thought I would post here when I realized there were forums :roll: ...I've been using paintstorm on both linux and windows and found that there seems to be a bug in linux mint where the cursor is down and to the right from where my pen is touching on the screen.
misaligned.png
misaligned.png (8.99KiB)Viewed 4561 times
This image shows the cursor location when I have the pen touching on the center of the X highlighted in red.

My thought was that perhaps the window borders in mint are causing some sort of alignment issue as the problem does not exist in windows where you are not using the default window borders there. This issue does not appear to be present in Krita or gimp on linux so it does not appear to be related to the calibration of the pen. I have been trying to find if I can set program specific window border settings but I have been unsuccessful in finding them. It doesn't look like the linux version has the tablet settings menu reference earlier.
HeroicNate

Post by HeroicNate » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:34 pm

Are there plans to inlcude the "Tablet Settings" in the linux version? I hope so. Loving this program! The offset is distracting though.
dzordan

Post by dzordan » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:45 pm

This is linux mint...

Any way..... gimp or krita is opensource.
you see howw this soft detect tablet on linux :) and learn something new :)

There are many people that dont want use windows becouse dont like main stream....
On window are many programs like paint storm...

And on linux your soft is nice alernative..... becouse your program has nice performance....
Better thann krita or gimp ;)

artists dont want to be slaves of m$ or addobe.
Be a nice guy and help us ...
Attachments
1518551319971.jpg
1518551319971.jpg (311.65KiB)Viewed 4250 times
1518551334215.jpg
1518551334215.jpg (304.36KiB)Viewed 4250 times