Studio under ios11 STILL losing my stuff ALL the time.

moriturimax
Studio under ios11 STILL losing my stuff ALL the time.

Post by moriturimax » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:37 pm

Your homebrew file saving is STILL losing pictures I am working on all the time.

The main problem is that you seem to have decided that a Windows style save feature is going to work the same in an iOS environment.

It doesn’t.

I use Studio, Procreate, Pixelmator, Notes Plus, Sketchbook, and Affinity Photo on my iPad Pro. Guess which ones use the standard iOS save/memory solutions? Guess which ones never lose any of my work?

All but Paintstorm.

Paintstorm is the only app among those I listed that CONSTANTLY loses work. Because on an iOS device you have a totally different and completely reliable (as much as any device/software is these days, and iOS is very very good at not screwing up) file system, that was DESIGNED BY APPLE to BE reliable AND NOT REQUIRE YOU TO THINK ABOUT YOUR FILES. When you exit any other app and come back to the app, it either picks up where you left off, or launches a gallery where your work was saved up to the point you exited.

Paintstorm Studio on the other hand, throws 3 or 4 additional steps into the mix THAT YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER TO FOLLOW EVERY TIME or you lose work. An Autosave that only saves ONE of the pictures you are working on, regardless of whether you had one picture open or six pictures. Roll the dice, maybe you’ll get ONE of your pictures back at some random point before you exite even.

This wonderful Autosave function also decides that from a couple minutes to several hours is when it will restart.

So while I love Paintstorm Studio and use it and NotesPlus even more than Affinity Photo or Procreate, it ABSOLUTELY SUCKS when you factor in this horrible KLUGE of a file system you seem to like above iOS’s wonderful system. Please tell your developers to get off their posteriors and learn the appropriate API that won’t lose 3 or 4 pictures a day.

I’m begging you. There is nothing you can do that is more of a slap in the face to the people who bought your app than keeping your current file system in place. Remember that saying, “You had ONE job.”
Bos

Re: Studio under ios11 STILL losing my stuff ALL the time.

Post by Bos » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:19 pm

Actually I have to agree. It's not a pleasure to use this (wonderful) app for its unreliable file saving. I've lost artwork too, and after that I try to save as often as I can, but this way I duplicate files in my itunes, and it's all very clunky. If you could make a save system like any other app for iOS, it would be a gigantic step forward.
vezinho

Post by vezinho » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:42 pm

Please yes !
It should be the priority...Really difficult as it is now...And you can't even rename the file you save on icloud (dropbox, box etc...)
Please !
Baz

Post by Baz » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:24 pm

For Ipad Pro Files management: when open or save.
1.Can it change the thumbnail size?
2.Show warning when saving over file (same file name)
3.Group and folder for the project management.
4.Auto put autosave file in an autosave folder

PS: Please make the [text tool] be support Chinese fonts! Really really needed!

Thank You!!
moriturimax

Post by moriturimax » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:15 pm

Glad to see I’m not the only one tearing their hair out. (Holds up cat treat to camera, See? Oh, wait) I wouldn’t even mention it, but Paintstorm is one of those few apps that just FEELS right using it with the pencil. Procreate and Affinity, for all their neat tools, are basically missing some subtle thing in their brush engines that makes you forget you’re drawing on glass.

That right there is worth it’s weight in gold. The other app that has the same natural feel is Notes Plus which I use all the time for sketching.

Cheers and hope this is something that can get addressed sooner rather than later. If you don’t have a basic functioning save feature that won’t stab you in the back, all the wonderful additional features lose something.

G’Day.
moriturimax

Post by moriturimax » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:12 pm

I am beginning to loathe the ios paintstorm load screen, when you open the app and it “restarts.” It almost kills my desire to do anything because I know if I DID remember to save what i was working on, now I have to go through the whole File>Open>pick from the 3 options>try and pan down until you think you see what you were working on.. oh wait, no that was a different copy, there it.... nope, different copy, is that it? Wonder how much I Iost this time because of Save/Autosave...

And the real kicker, when it asks if I want to load the autosave, I just laugh, because I KNOW it will only reload ONE thing, and no idea when THAT was last autosaved. It’s never been up to date. Like that final little slap in the face.
moriturimax

Post by moriturimax » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:30 pm

If I did a review right now:

Paintstorm Studio with current file save ( 1-star )
Paintstorm Studio with normal iOS native state maintain/save (like Procreate, Notes Plus, Affinity Studio, Concepts, etc) ( 5-star )
moriturimax

Post by moriturimax » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:42 pm

Hate to say it, if I keep getting these arbitrary restarts, I am going to have to force myself to go back to Affinity or Procreate.

It’s just pissing me off more and more, especially with no way to predict when Paintstorm decides it HAS to restart and dump everything I had open.
support
Site Admin

Post by support » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:00 am

hm... if you force closing Paintstorm, hot it should save the document? We'll think about it...
What about autosaves, we'll plan to change it a little, like every file will be saved as myfilenam1,myfilename2... myotherfile1... another picture1... but in this case, your disk space will be overload very soon and maybe we'll add an option to control maximum autosave space before files will be rewritten.
vezinho

Post by vezinho » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:44 pm

support wrote:hm... if you force closing Paintstorm, hot it should save the document? We'll think about it...
What about autosaves, we'll plan to change it a little, like every file will be saved as myfilenam1,myfilename2... myotherfile1... another picture1... but in this case, your disk space will be overload very soon and maybe we'll add an option to control maximum autosave space before files will be rewritten.
The thing that bother the most is the unability to rename every file that can be saved:
I mean:
- The main file, for exemple when you open an existing document and want to change the name, you can't...or maybe i am dumb ?
- Every preset: brushes, workspace, etc...

Is there any solution to this ?

Usually i use Dropbox or box or documents to locally save the stuff on iPad, and what you have to do is rename the different files afterwhile and this is really borring and time consuming and also can be really confusing...

Please...