Paintstorm Appears to Lose Focus Sometimes?

SilverSurfer1221
Paintstorm Appears to Lose Focus Sometimes?

Post by SilverSurfer1221 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:16 pm

Hello.

I am having an issue with Paintstorm Studio. It appears to be losing focus from time to time, which results in the stylus not registering pressure sensitivity, though you can still draw a line. It's like drawing with a mouse. Once Paintstorm gets focus back, pressure works as expected.

Why do I say it appears that Paintstorm loses focus? Well, I have a piece of software installed called RadialMenu which allows the end-user to assign shortcut keys and macros to touch buttons so you can use your touch screen, such as a MS Surface or Cintiq, without having to constantly reach for your keyboard. RadialMenu allows you to set up custom buttons per application. I have custom buttons for my various 2D and 3D programs. When I start using the program, RadialMenu switches over to the correct buttons which I have assigned for that particular application.

I made a custom setup in RadialMenu for Paintstorm so I could more easily change brush size and rotate the canvas without using my keyboard. When I start Paintstorm, RadialMenu does it's job and displays the correct buttons.

There are times when I will start to draw/paint in Paintstorm, and there is no pressure registered at all. If I look at the RadialMenu buttons, I see that they have reverted back to the standard buttons, not the ones I'd created to show up when Paintstorm is being used. This tells me that RadialMenu is not seeing that Paintstorm is the current app in focus. If I click in another window (I have a two-monitor setup) and then tap back in Paintstorm, RadialMenu suddenly shows the correct buttons for Paintstorm and pressure is active once again.

I was experiencing this loss of pressure from time to time before installing RadialMenu, but I did not have any idea what was causing it. So, this issue is not related to RadialMenu. However, what is happening with RadialMenu may provide a clue (i.e. that it appears to be losing focus somehow).

This lose of pressure seems to mainly happen when I first start Paintstorm, though not always. Sometimes Paintstorm works perfectly right from the start. I've not tested this further to see if I can make Paintstorm lose focus or cause pressure to stop working. I'll report more if I notice anything more.

Thanks.
SilverSurfer1221

Re: Paintstorm Appears to Lose Focus Sometimes?

Post by SilverSurfer1221 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:57 am

By the way, I am on Windows 10 (all updates) running Paintstorm on my Dell Canvas (much like the Wacom Cintiq 27" Touch - even basically uses Wacom tech).
support
Site Admin

Re: Paintstorm Appears to Lose Focus Sometimes?

Post by support » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:49 am

Paintstorm loses pressure sometimes if window loses focus, but we still can't find the cause of it.
You can use custom 1 with a fast call hotkey to use it in the same way as your radial menu.

Horkeys: Move custom1 panel to cursor