Malware found in PaintstormSetupv2.20_x64 for win

AvavagoArts
Malware found in PaintstormSetupv2.20_x64 for win

Post by AvavagoArts » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:20 pm

To whom it may concern,

Today I visited the official paintstormstudio site to check if there are any updates and I am super hyped for the new update. So I quickly deinstalled my current version of paintstormstudio to make a clean upgrade to v2.20.

However, as soon I clicked the .exe to install first my windows defender system gives me a warning. Because I thought, it will be fine anyways I ignored the warning. Furthermore, my anti virus program Avast sees it as a threat for my system and put it in quarantine. So I was doubting what could be wrong. In contrast, every other version worked just fine.

I then uploaded the file to VirusTotal and they dectected "QVM41.1.Malware.Gen". And now I don't know what to do so I started this topic.
I hope that you can help me. Since I dont know if QVM41.1.Malware.Gen is part of the software or some malware you may fix this.
I think that not everybody is going to do some research like i've done and may even gets scared away by this from this nice piece of software.

Sincerely yours,
Avavago
support
Site Admin

Re: Malware found in PaintstormSetupv2.20_x64 for win

Post by support » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:27 am

https://www.virustotal.com/#/url/5030b1 ... /detection

Seems that this virus attached already to your PC

Anyway, every new release some of the antiviruses mark Paintstorm as a virus because it has not code sign certificate :( This is a new politic for antiviruses - all unregistered should be marked as a potentially unsafe.
Iron Noodle

Post by Iron Noodle » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:51 am

My VirusTotal result https://www.virustotal.com/#/file/73123 ... /detection
shows 2 results of FileRepMalware.

Support, you showing a clean result is meaningless since you can upload a clean version, do the test and then upload another file with virus/malware. I'm not saying that this is what is happening, just that this scenario is possible and therefore you are not showing proof of anything.
HeroicNate

Post by HeroicNate » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:17 pm

If you upload the exe directly, Avast and AVG detect it as malware by FileRepMalware.

https://www.virustotal.com/#/file/73123 ... /detection
glenfx

Post by glenfx » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:08 am

On my side, Avast doesn't find a virus but I get an error about "server content length mismatch" from Chrome at the end of the download, if I download it through firefox or through free download manager it says the file downloads fine but when I run it it gets stuck for a while and then sends a corrupt file error.

I don't know if there could be a chance the file on the server got corrupted and that is also why AvavagoArts's antivirus detects it like a virus?.
norton

Post by norton » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:20 am

thanks