(iPad Pro) Brushes Change Color When Selected in "Tile View"

TobiToon
(iPad Pro) Brushes Change Color When Selected in "Tile View"

Post by TobiToon » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:49 pm

Howdy,

There appears to be a bug that pops up sometimes while using the Brushes Palette in the iPad version of the software
Some of the brushes will switch color to a random color whenever a specific brush is selected
ex: the "Brush" brush and the Demo Nova and the Pencil H Hard and Textured Brush 6 & 7...(there might be others, i've not gone through the whole palette yet)
I would be working with a color and when i would switch to one of these brushes my color would switch to a random color, terquise, green, orange, purple, red, etc..
This would happen even by "double tapping" the specified brush, the color would still jump around on the color wheel...this is without applying the brush to the canvas, so i'm assuming this had nothing to do with the brush being "Dirty"
The bug didn't seem to happen at all while the Palette was in "List View", it seemed to only happen in "Tile View"
I spent a few hours working with the App open and also had the App running in the background for several hours
Reseting the App seemed to fix the issue, but i was able to repeat the bug several times before that...always the same brushes

After the Reset it seems to be working as intended, but i figured to give you a heads up for something to look out for...i might be able to post more details (or more effected brushes) if it happens again

I'm really enjoying the App, looking forward to any future improvements you release :)

Cheers
support
Site Admin

Re: (iPad Pro) Brushes Change Color When Selected in "Tile View"

Post by support » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:58 am

something crazy :) I can't repeat it. Maybe it requires very specialized operations to appear.
TobiToon

Post by TobiToon » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:12 am

Yeah, i'm having difficulty finding the circumstances to repeat it also

it's currently happening again...similar conditions except instead of working in Paintstorm for a couple hours, I was working in ProCreate just before launching Paintstorm
In this new instance, the previous brushes are still affected...but now even more brushes are misbehaving in a similar way...swapping between brushes AND selecting a brush twice is producing the effect
the only consistent action i've taken in both instances is working in one session for a little over 2 hours
I'm in the habit of not keeping many apps open in the background...typically only a "punch clock" app to track how long I've been working...I also keep Wifi switched off...using only Bluetooth for Apple Pencil

I'm keeping an eye on what i'm doing before the behavior starts, but it's still hard to source what actions i'm taking that's causing the behavior

now that it's misbehaving again, i can maybe try a different solution rather than restarting the app
If i figure anything out i'll post again maybe
TobiToon

Post by TobiToon » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:36 am

Doing some experimenting and I've come across a possible way to repeat the bug

I've imported some Adobe Swatch (.ASE) files into Color Libraries...these are colors I use at my desktop workstation, so consistency is important to me
Whenever i grab a color from one of my .ASE libraries and follow it by choosing a brush, the correct color is active
Then when i switch to a different brush, the color changes to a random color...exactly like i described in the previous posts
When I use one of the color libraries that come shipped with Paintstorm, the bug doesn't happen...the brush behaves correctly

So for now, it seems I could be somehow linked to Imported Color Libraries...or perhaps my .ASE files

I can play around with it some more, but using my imported library was a easy way to repeat the bug...seems the default color libraries are "safe" :lol:
TobiToon

Post by TobiToon » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:23 am

So I’m still having the issue...and I’ve learned more about how to reproduce it
I decided to keep the Color Wheel open to track when the colors we switching when I’d select a brush
But I noticed that I didn’t always have to select a brush to get the color wheel to change color, I could click anywhere within the brush palette and the color wheel would randomly select a color
So I started thinking it might not be related to Brushes specifically...maybe it’s an issue with the palette menu
So I opened my Color Library, and I noticed the Library panel opened roughly in the same place as my Brush Palette
So I moved the Brush Palette...and suddenly the bug didn’t happen...I then closed the Color Library and moved the Brush Palette to the area the Color Library panel WAS, and the bug started happening again
So, for some reason...even with the Color Library Panel closed, any panel that is open over the area that the Color Library used to occupy will get interference from the Color Library...causing any clicks within that area to ALSO count as clicks in the Color Library
So when I was selecting brushes, it was also selecting colors from my Color Library...that’s why I was getting random colors when clicking a brush
My current UI for Paintstorm uses the onscreen Hotkeys to open and close the Brush, Layers, and Color Library panels...don’t know if that’s related or not... I usually have my UI set up in such a way that my panels overlap in the center of my workspace and I use the Hotkeys to open and close them as I need them

Cheers
support
Site Admin

Post by support » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:43 am

Ok, thanks for the reporting.