ipad Pro 3rd Generation 6Gig RAM

smile4yourself
ipad Pro 3rd Generation 6Gig RAM

Post by smile4yourself » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:41 am

has anyone tried this out yet with Paintstorm to see if the new HW makes it run better?
Apparently one needs to buy the 1TB storage to get the 6 GB RAM.
Altair

Re: ipad Pro 3rd Generation 6Gig RAM

Post by Altair » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:10 am

Hi,
I have found so far that paintstorm still feels sluggish on the 1tb 6gb ram ipad pro, relative to procreate, sketch club, and infinite painter. It is still very easy to use a brush in paintstorm that lags considerably, especially if you crank up the size.
Ive been beta testing the new infinite painter, and it doesnt slow down at all even with max brush sizes. I think paintstrm needs some guard rails implemented to hide the high latency lag inherent in their blending algorithim (for mobile, at least)
smile4yourself

Re: ipad Pro 3rd Generation 6Gig RAM

Post by smile4yourself » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:12 am

I finally have a chance to test both these Ipads together.

There was 10% more free memory in the one with more RAM with Paintstorm and the monitoring app open in both. I tried Procreate in both, and found that Procreate does not take advantage of the unit with more RAM. Canvas/crop and resize gave me the same results on both iPads when I changed the resolution to 3500 x 2732. 52 layers possible on both systems with this resolution.

I don’t seem to get any more memory warnings in either system. Not sure why, but maybe the latest build. I cranked up all the settings that I used to have to crank down like number of mirrors, brushes, etc. But did not get any memory warnings. I tried enlarging the image and got some buggy results like H and W were locked, but resulting photo was distorted. This is probably just a new bug.

Donald