cannot add new brushes or .abr files

voneyezine
cannot add new brushes or .abr files

Post by voneyezine » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:57 am

since the new update every time i attempt to add brushes the app crashes if they are actual paintstorm brushes. If i attempt adding even the .abr photoshop type brushes I get an error window pop up for every brush it tries to load from the file saying " cannot load form." it creates a category of brushes with no forms, and in the forms folder, a blank folder with a bunch of blank spaces where the brush shapes should have gone. deleting these categories take very long to complete as well even though there is nothing there. I mean...why doesnt the program tell you any information. like how much memory is being used by resident brushes. how many brushes can you have in the program alltogether, and how much memory the app is using with the current file open? these things are issues because you fixed how long it takes the application to launch, wich is nice, but if try to even try to change a brush before the brushes are done loading in the background the screen goes milky white untill its done loading all the categories and it takes two or three minutes before it goes back to opperational status. or windows says program is not responding. do all the brushes in every category have load into memeory at boot up? should it be that when a category is clicked it should load at that time? or hey, how about a setting" load brush category apon selecting toggle in options menu? or maybe a select option to toggle which brush categories to load before session starts. :D
support
Site Admin

Re: cannot add new brushes or .abr files

Post by support » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:35 am

Maybe you've got "broken" brush structure. Try to export your categories separately, then rename "Documents/Paintstorm studio" folder to backup it, and restart Paintstorm to get the clean version. Try to import brush categories into a clean version.
voneyezine

Post by voneyezine » Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:46 pm

What does that even mean."broken brush structure" and rename what folder? Sounds scary . Alsoand there is no way to import or export brushes seperatly. You select import brushes , select the file and that's it, the program asks the questions that don't make sense, like your just supposed to know what it's talking about.
voneyezine

Post by voneyezine » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:20 am

I tried renaming paintstorm in docs, restarted the program and it got errors of missing files, then crashed trying to boot. Thank goodness I changed the renamed version back to normal and it booted ok,,, got any other suggestions?
support
Site Admin

Post by support » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:08 am

voneyezine wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:20 am
I tried renaming paintstorm in docs, restarted the program and it got errors of missing files, then crashed trying to boot. Thank goodness I changed the renamed version back to normal and it booted ok,,, got any other suggestions?
Are you sure that Paintstorm was closed at the moment of renaming?
This folder creates automatically with default settings, but if it's exist - Paintstorm tries to load files from it. So you must be sure that "Documents/Paintstorm Studio" doesn't exist at the moment of Paintstorm launching.
voneyezine

Post by voneyezine » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:18 am

Paintstormwas not active during file change,as i explained, then I booted paintstorm..I mean seriuosly
voneyezine

Post by voneyezine » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:06 am

so are you saying i need to remove the renamed back up folder painstorm and move it out of documents folder entirely? then boot paintstorm, and so it creates anew one with no other file of that type[even tho its renamed] in the same folder as it boots?
Blendie

Post by Blendie » Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:15 am

voneyezine wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:46 pm
What does that even mean."broken brush structure" and rename what folder? Sounds scary . Alsoand there is no way to import or export brushes seperatly. You select import brushes , select the file and that's it, the program asks the questions that don't make sense, like your just supposed to know what it's talking about.
Hi voneyezine ... there's a way to export a single brush:

1. right click and 'export brushes'
2. 'export current brush'
AMD, SparkyOS/Mate, XP-Pen Deco v2
voneyezine

Post by voneyezine » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:17 pm

Problem is I cannot add brushes gets error:cannot add brush forms, created blank brush categories and files in shapes folder that are also blank. Has nothing to do with exporting brushes.
Blendie

Post by Blendie » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:11 pm

Yes, I'm fully aware of that, and not stupid; I'm able to read the title. You said there was no way to export single brushes; there is.

You could try the solution Support has said, but check in your system monitor that Paintstorm isn't still running. Then remove the Paintstorm folder from Documents, therefore Paintstorm has nothing to read and just boots up as if a new install. I delete my backup folder, copy in my clean backup, and it works perfectly; if that doesn't work, you may have a lot of crud on your computer's drive, and, unless you know how to safely deal with that, a format and reinstall would work (especially if the issue is malware on your PC)... then set up Paintstorm from scratch, sort brushes and tweaks, and backup the folder that is in Documents onto another drive/usb (two backup places are better) ... then you always have a clean backup. That should work. Otherwise it's something to do with Windows, if that's what you're running e.g. permissions, or updates messing something up. But by doing format/reinstall, and fresh install of Paintstorm, then the backup, you should be good to go.
AMD, SparkyOS/Mate, XP-Pen Deco v2