[Solved] Missing Text

cestarian
[Solved] Missing Text

Post by cestarian » Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:12 am

I just installed the program on Manjaro (arch-based) but practically all text is missing from the application, what are the required fonts?

(Related Thread, I installed paintstorm-bin from aur, I created the opentype and truetype font folders. It worked like this once but now the fonts as u can see in the screenshot are missing except for very few specific ones.)

My first idea was to try to install the fonts from windows, but that had no effect. I also tried symlinking the truetype folder to the TTF folder instead of just creating a blank one, neither had any effect.

Update: Tried running an strace, this is the only relevant output I could find

Code: Select all

openat(AT_FDCWD, "/usr/share/paintstorm/Defaults/font.ttf", O_RDONLY) = 11
openat(AT_FDCWD, "/usr/share/fonts/opentype", O_RDONLY|O_NONBLOCK|O_CLOEXEC|O_DIRECTORY) = 11
openat(AT_FDCWD, "/usr/share/fonts/truetype", O_RDONLY|O_NONBLOCK|O_CLOEXEC|O_DIRECTORY) = 11
It's not an error, I couldn't find any errors in fact, I don't understand why it wouldn't be working, I wonder if the problem has anything to do with me running KDE or something.
Last edited by cestarian on Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cestarian

Re: Missing Text

Post by cestarian » Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:53 pm

I have a bit of an update on the issue, although I have not solved it yet.

I created a new user account and started paintstorm on that account instead of my original account, and the issue was not present. I tried changing a few settings on the new account but I couldn't figure out which setting it was (or where it even is, I mean is it a kde setting, an account specific setting that has nothing to do with kde, I don't even...)

Although this doesn't necessarily mean the issue isn't with the program (clearly the program should be rendering the text even under whatever circumstances these are; it's not giving any warnings or errors about it, and it's even loading the font files (presumably) correctly), at least now I know that it's not something like a missing dependency or anything.

I'll update again when I figure out wtf it is (assuming I manage to figure it out that is)

Update: Managed to narrow it down, I tried clearing out my .config folder and it solved the issue (of course creating a lot of new ones tho) so I tried moving some files back in starting with all files (everything that's not a directory) under ~/.config/ and that re-created the issue which means I narrowed it down to about 70 files :mrgreen:
cestarian

Re: Missing Text

Post by cestarian » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:24 pm

Solved it!

Solution:

rm ~/.config/plasma-localerc
The contents of this file were nonsensical

[Formats]
LANG=C
Removing the file solved the issue :roll:

Seems like this is probably a bug with KDE moreso than Paintstorm, but it's weird that Paintstorm was the only program I have that had any issues with this.