Option for smaller brush spacing options

JoseConseco
Option for smaller brush spacing options

Post by JoseConseco » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:26 pm

Default spacing seems to be too big sometimes. Here is example with zero spacing (fixation disabled):
I can fix that by enabling fixation eg like in here:
But then if I set brush size to small, brush dabs are visible. And it may not be optimal for big brushes (to many brush dabs = slow).
So I wish there were options for brush spacing:
- wide (this would be the current 0.0 spacing when fixation is disabled)
- medium (maybe half of wide?)
- small (possibly half of medium?).
Or maybe another way of calculating how spacing is calculated could help? I assume currently PSS is calculating spacing in relation to brush size in linear fashion (meaning 2x brush size, gives 2x bigger brush spacing). But maybe spacing could be calculated as square root of brush size?
spacing = sqrt(brush size). This would reduce the stepping effect when using brush size. Obviously this would affect the performance in negative way...
Long_haired_artist

Re: Option for smaller brush spacing options

Post by Long_haired_artist » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:57 am

I notice much the same spacing issues especially when using palette knives. It may be the nature of the stamp container being always a square, even if the stamp image looks like a tall skinny rectangular brick- it's surrounded by white space that reads as transparent but nonetheless takes up space.
Would a solution be to draw the desired stamp image as usual, then scale transform it into a completely colored square and import as a stamp... then stretch the x or y back using a constant factor on the squeeze function to get the tall skinny shape?
JoseConseco

Post by JoseConseco » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:43 am

Just bumping this thread, because fixing this would make my life easier :)
support
Site Admin

Post by support » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:26 pm

Brush form must be normalize, or it can saved with spacing.
I've tested "fixation 0" with default thin flat brushes and it works without any spacing
JoseConseco

Post by JoseConseco » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:57 pm

Well yes fixation-ON and Spacing-0 works, but it is very slow for big brushes, so it is not really solution for to wide spacing problem IMO.
Here is how Paint Storm studio does reduce spacing with normal and narrow spacing options (without need for slow Fixed 0 method):

-In CSP- Fixed 'ON' and spacing 0 - same as in PSS, nice stroke but very slow. Not usable
-'Wide' (in CSP spacing parameter is disabled when dabs are set to 'wide','normal' or 'narrow')- now brush dabs are separated too much. Maybe good for some kind of brushes, but not for sharp knife like brush. And this is how Fixation-'OFF' and 0-spacing in PSS works in default. No way to get lower spacing in PSS. However in CSP there are to more options:
- 'Normal' and 'Narrow' - both give good results. Narrow gives best/sharpest stroke, but it bit slow. However is is still faster and better that setting Fixation-ON with Spacing 0. IMO this is what is missing in PSS.

So yep, fixation 0 works but it is too slow on big brushes.
I hope to see something similar in PSS like normal, narrow spacing options. Or maybe custom curve defining spacing in relation to brush size?
Last edited by JoseConseco on Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
lbatek

Post by lbatek » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:32 am

Hi,
Ive briefly seen your trouble
...one thing which could help is to use custom shape (brush stamp) with slight blur not sharp edged (pretty common in all packages)

Just my thought.

L.
JoseConseco

Post by JoseConseco » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:25 pm

Sorry for bumping this but I wish this problem would get some attention.
Ibatek - the whole point of smaller brush spacing is to get sharp lines with big brushes, so blurring the brush is negating the effect.
Here is example of how spacing is getting more and more noticeable, the bigger the brush is:
http://prnt.sc/cllhe0
Some custom curve control over spacing in relation to brush size could solve this. Or some presset for brush spacing - wide, normal, narrow.
JoseConseco

Post by JoseConseco » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:08 pm

I just wanted to link to latest Borodante video, where he test latest PSS versionn (2.0) and he has same spacing problem - without fixation brush spacing seems to be too big, even when set to zero:
https://youtu.be/Z_qlzAFlbI0?t=216
I agree with him, this is the last 'serious' issue with PSS brush engine. Other that that it is flawless.
The issue with spacing increasing when brush size gets bigger seems to be gone (or maybe I was imagining thing).
support
Site Admin

Post by support » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:28 am

Yes, I've seen this video.
Many users can't understand what is that fixation means. And why we see steps in brush stamps some time.

What is really happens: fixation = fixed pixel count from one stamp to another. Fixation from 0 to 1 - means that it's a minimal 1 pixel for super small or giant brush, that's why big brushes can be slow with fixation 0, it's a big stamps with 1 pixel step. Of course, you will not see the spacing between big stamps with fixation 3 px and etc. But will see it with a small brush with step 3 px.

Fixation checkbox off - is a percent step. But why you see steps at 0 %? 1px=1%, 50%=50px
(Maybe we can think about 0.01% or something same to get an ideal result... I suspect something same done in SAI 2)
Attachments
step pss vs ps.jpg
step pss vs ps.jpg (88.11KiB)Viewed 6414 times
JoseConseco

Post by JoseConseco » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:18 am

0,01 may do the trick. Hopefully it will be faster than fixation set to 0 on big brushes.
Ayway I fixed image in post above, to show how CSP setup works for spacing. It has additional presets for spacing: wide, normal, narrow - all of them are faster than fixation-0 preset. And narrow spacing gives smooth stroke appearance - it is decent compromise between speed and quality/smoothnes.