Brush lag with Intuos 5 M

Urist
Brush lag with Intuos 5 M

Post by Urist » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:51 pm

Hi all,

I created a topic here a few days ago in the hopes that someone could help me solve an issue I'm having but it hasn't shown up on this sub-forum yet. So, I'm trying again but, this time, with a video!

Here it is: https://youtu.be/Xzr3MfuYZ4U

I usually like to draw without stabilization so I set it to zero, but for some reason the application still seems to apply it under certain circumstances. If I make very deliberate, almost mechanical strokes everything works great; put pen on tablet, move from A to B. The issue occurs if I try to make more natural sweeps, especially if the pen loses contact with the tablet at any point during the stroke. It's really starting to bother me and is preventing me from truly enjoying this fine piece of software.

I'm hoping that there's a setting somewhere that I'm simply missing or maybe someone has encountered this issue before and has a solution for it.

Thanks in advance!
support
Site Admin

Re: Brush lag with Intuos 5 M

Post by support » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:04 am

I have the same tablet for testing and it works fine... Does anyone else have the same issue?
Try to disable windows gestures, or maybe update Wacom drivers... I can only assume... Do you use tablet wheel and buttons? Foes this issue happens always or after some time?

Also, can you test this tablet at other PC with Paintstorm?
Ico-dY

Post by Ico-dY » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:59 pm

Same problem with the same tablet under Linux. Solved tweaking the size/pressure relationship with the curve's origin different from (0,0), using very low values for the stabilizer and tweaking its stroke speed curve. But it's a very tiring task since other software calculate automatically the best parameters when the stabilizer is enabled without asking for the user intervention.
Urist

Post by Urist » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:39 pm

support wrote:I have the same tablet for testing and it works fine... Does anyone else have the same issue?
Try to disable windows gestures, or maybe update Wacom drivers... I can only assume... Do you use tablet wheel and buttons? Foes this issue happens always or after some time?

Also, can you test this tablet at other PC with Paintstorm?
This is just how the program behaves for me from default settings even with gestures disabled, I've also tried fiddling with other settings like disabling Windows Ink. The Wacom drivers are up to date. I've tested this on a laptop which also runs Windows 10, same issue with the latest Wacom drivers.
Ico-dY wrote:Same problem with the same tablet under Linux. Solved tweaking the size/pressure relationship with the curve's origin different from (0,0), using very low values for the stabilizer and tweaking its stroke speed curve. But it's a very tiring task since other software calculate automatically the best parameters when the stabilizer is enabled without asking for the user intervention.
At least it's not just me then. I'll have a go at tweaking the settings a bit more and see how it goes. However, assuming the team can reproduce this behaviour, I would still like to this issue resolved.
Urist

Post by Urist » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:12 am

As a follow-up I can confirm that this still happens for me using version 2.03. I've also noticed that this "delay" can easily be reproduced if you just use a mouse, no graphics tablet, and move it in a circular motion while repeatedly clicking.
support
Site Admin

Post by support » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:08 am

I've also noticed that this "delay" can easily be reproduced if you just use a mouse
How you get a thin stroke with a mouse?
Also, did you tried to enable coordinate mouse mode at menu-file-tablet settings?
Urist

Post by Urist » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:27 am

support wrote:
I've also noticed that this "delay" can easily be reproduced if you just use a mouse
How you get a thin stroke with a mouse?
Also, did you tried to enable coordinate mouse mode at menu-file-tablet settings?
This happens if I use my graphics tablet or a mouse, meaning it's likely not the drivers for the tablet. The mouse wouldn't give a thin line without using a brush that has brush-size linked to speed, or something of that nature. I've tried enabling coordinate mouse mode but it doesn't seem to make a difference. I've also tried the settings recommended by Ico-dY, it didn't make a significant change for me.

I don't use Paintstorm at the moment because of this issue; it's a really nice program but something like this just really hinders my enjoyment while using it. Again, this happens on both my Windows 10 desktop and Windows 10 laptop so maybe it's something to with that (I don't have any other environments to test on-hand).
support
Site Admin

Post by support » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:56 am

it's very strange issue, I've tried to reproduce it at several PC's and I can not :( There is some conflict between PSS and your system.
Urist

Post by Urist » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:52 am

I have an update on my situation.

I can confirm that the issues I were having had nothing to do with Paintstorm, the post stroke "stabilization" was being caused by a utility program called Riva Statistics Server (v7.0.0 beta 19 to be specific, other versions might be okay) which allows you to display verbose performance information for any DirectX or OpenGL rendered application as an overlay. I mainly use it to show an FPS counter, GPU utilization and temperature. It also allows you to limit the FPS of an application.

I also have MSI Afterburner working alongside it but I don’t actually use it so I can’t be sure if that contributed to the problem as loading that also loads up Riva Statistics Server so I can't isolate it.

In short, if you’re having any problems similar to mine it might be worth checking if you have Riva Statistics Server or anything similar running in the background that may be interfering with Paintstorm’s rendering.

Thanks for all the support.